Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Emergency Help...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Emergency Help...

Postby adnan » Sun May 15, 2011 11:40 am

Hi
I am breeding budgies first time.

My budgies are breeding at the moment, with 3 babies 20 days old appx.

cock stop feeding hen since morning, therefore hen stops feeding babies (feeding babies sometimes very little amount when they shout).

babies are almost at the edge of entrance hole and shouting as they looks hungry to me.

It seems like that when babies shout for food, cock try to approach the nest, but hen stops him,
and suddenly starts chasing the cock and try to take food from cock.

And some times cock feed her, and hen feeds chicks.
Hen is eating very little on its own.

I pull the chicks out of the nest and their crop looks like empty and put them back into the nest while hen shouting for babies and she also tried to stop me accessing babies by going into the nest and trying to cover babies.

Before this story everything seems normal, when cock feeding to hen and babies as well.

Now, in evening hen is again inside the nest and cock is guarding outside.

Finally, I am worried about the babies, they may not have get enough food as regular.

Is this all normal behavior or should I hand feed them or leave them as it is??
adnan
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Gouldian finch
Flight: Yes

Re: Emergency Help...

Postby kaylayuh » Sun May 15, 2011 12:26 pm

I've never bred birds before, but I'd say if you think they're not getting enough to eat, pull them and hand feed them.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Sun May 15, 2011 1:19 pm

The Parrot Forum does not endorse discussions about breeding parrots because online discussion cannot replace experience, lessons from an experienced breeder, and good judgement. Things you do can be life and death so it is best that you seek in person help from a breeder or someone with specific experience.

People without the requisite experience should not be breeding or raising parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby patdbunny » Sun May 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Grab the babies 3 times a day - a.m., mid-day, evening. Look at the crop, feel the crop. If there's food in there the babies are fine. If the crops are flat and empty you need to handfeed the babies. At 20 days old you may not be able to get them to take handfeedings with a syringe or spoon and you will need to crop tube them. If you don't know how to crop tube you need to have someone show you. An avian vet or an experienced breeder can show you. If you try to crop tube yourself and you don't know what you're doing you can kill the bird instantly in your hand.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby captwest » Sun May 15, 2011 2:27 pm

adnan wrote:Is this all normal behavior or should I hand feed them or leave them as it is??

As for the first part of your question, yes this is fairly normal with young breeders , these are the types of problems you can expect.The second part, if it were me, i'd pull the chicks and handfeed.I don't know of your experience level but if going to breed birds your going to lose alot when learning what to do.If things are still going bad PM me and i'll give you a crash course in handfeeding. I hate to see baby birds die , when there might be something i can do.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet