Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Handfeeding

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Handfeeding

Postby GWmacaw » Fri May 20, 2011 10:29 am

I found an injured baby bird outside. I´m guessing that it is a swallow, probably around 2-3 weeks old. I’ve taken care of its injury and I have started handfeeding. I’m giving it around 2ml of formula every 2 hours. I have tried handfeeding before but not a bird that I own so I don´t know what to do during the nights. Should I continue to feed it on a 2 hour basis or should I do something else?
GWmacaw
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Bourke's, 1 Budgie, 1 Indian Ringneck, 1 Green-winged Macaw.
Flight: Yes

Re: Handfeeding

Postby pchela » Fri May 20, 2011 2:22 pm

When I hand fed babies tiny babies the longest I would go was 5 or 6 hours overnight. When they get a bit older, they can go 8 without problems and then every 3 or 4 during the day. I'm not sure with a baby swallow. Is the crop completely empty after 2 hours? If so, I'd probably do at least every 3 hours overnight until the crop starts to empty more slowly.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby GWmacaw » Fri May 20, 2011 2:36 pm

I‘ve started feeding every hour as the crop empties quickly. I´ll probably do every 2 hours tonight.
GWmacaw
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Bourke's, 1 Budgie, 1 Indian Ringneck, 1 Green-winged Macaw.

Postby pchela » Fri May 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Best of luck! I hope the poor little thing does well! You have experience so the best you can do is just feed when the crop empties and keep an eye on it.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby GWmacaw » Fri May 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you. I think he's going to be alright, he's quiet active for such a small bird :)
GWmacaw
Parrotlet

Postby Kim S » Fri May 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why are you feeding a swallow formula? His parents have probably been feeding him bugs. I think getting some mealworms or crickets from your local petstore/fishingstore would be a better idea.
Formula has been prepared with parrots in mind and is suited to their nutricional needs. They may not mach the needs of a swallow youngster.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Michael » Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Given the hand feeding all works out, what do you plan to do with the bird after? Can it be successfully reintroduced to the wild or will it lack the social learning to be able to survive without a flock?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GWmacaw » Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 am

Kim S wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but why are you feeding a swallow formula? His parents have probably been feeding him bugs. I think getting some mealworms or crickets from your local petstore/fishingstore would be a better idea.
Formula has been prepared with parrots in mind and is suited to their nutricional needs. They may not mach the needs of a swallow youngster.

When he get's older he will be fed insects, but right now he is to young to eat them. In nature the parent would kind of puke what they have eaten into the chick, that's why he's on formula. I did try to feed him a mealworm as I wasn't sure of how old he was, he didn't eat the worm. When he gets older his diet will be 1/3 insects, 1/3 seeds and 1/3 fruit and vegetables (this is quiet similar to what he would eat in the wild)

Michael wrote:Given the hand feeding all works out, what do you plan to do with the bird after? Can it be successfully reintroduced to the wild or will it lack the social learning to be able to survive without a flock?

He won't be returned to the wild, I am almost 100% sure that he woudn't survive. I did look for a nest where I found him and I didn't find anything. If I would have found his nest than I would have just taken care of his injury and then returned him to the nest and keept an eye on him. When I am done handfeeding and when he's ready to leave, he'll probably go to a friend who has experience with birds.
GWmacaw
Parrotlet

Postby pchela » Sat May 21, 2011 12:21 pm

It's also possible (though slim chance now) that the mother will look for him if you take him outside near where you found him and let him cry/chirp. This may give you a clue as to where the nest is if she hears him an shows up... you may be able to see where she goes. I know the mother will search for chicks that have fallen but I don't know if they are still looking after a few days.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby zazanomore » Mon May 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Keep in mind to have the baby bird isolated from your parrots. Wouldn't want either of them getting sick.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet