Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Peeling beak??

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Peeling beak??

Postby Tandi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:24 am

Hi all,

I haven't been on this site in a while, and for that I apologise. I've just been a little hectic with the wedding and honeymoon and buying a house and all that jazz...

I'm concerned about my Timneh African Grey, Jet. I noticed the hooked part of her beak started to discolour and I thought it looked like it had sort of lifted, like there was air in there or something, and it has now started to "peel" where the discolouration/lifting occured? Why has this happened? Is it normal! I am planning a trip to the vet anyway because I am unhappy with the condition of Jodi's feathers, so should I take Jet along too? Jet rubs her beak a lot, on her cage, on me, but she has done this since I got her so I don't think of it as being out of the ordinary, but could this have caused her beak to "peel"?

I would appreciate any comments and advice. Thanks!
Tandi, Jodi :amazon: and Jet
Tandi
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Orange winged Amazon
Timneh African Grey
Congo African Grey's
Mealy Rosellas
Indian Ringnecks
Flight: No

Re: Peeling beak??

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 pm

It's hard to tell from your description if something is wrong or if it's just normal sloughing off of the outer layers. Maybe if you posted a picture, it would help. I do know Cape owners often report peeling beaks and some people recommend feeding a little more fat (nuts) but I believe Greys are particularly sensitive to too much dietary fat, so it might be best to consult with your vet anyway.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet