Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Whoa! Overwhelmed much?!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Whoa! Overwhelmed much?!

Postby sammisams » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 pm

sammisams wrote:Sprouting seeds sounded like such a great idea I started last night. I had never heard of sprouting bird seed. Thanks a bunch! As far as pellets I haven't tried implementing them into the diet yet. I'll give it a try. And most likely stay away from zupreem. Haha

So my first attempt was a fail. Just started soaking my second batch.... pretty sure this time it will go better. Changed my jar and my seed. We'll see what happens. :)
sammisams
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: No

Postby CinnamonParrots » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:05 pm

That's a great idea Liz! I should've thought of that a while ago, put wasted seeds into the flower pot! I wonder if that would work if seeds are mixed with pellets..hmmmm!
CinnamonParrots
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: GC Conure, Fisher's Lovebird & Blue Budgie

Postby sammisams » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:29 pm

GlassOnion wrote:I would stay away from Kaytee, 7-in-one, whatever else expensive 'seed mix'. Just get a plain Budgie mix, soak/sprout the seeds, offer pellets, oat/wheat grass, and bird bread with all sorts of veggies and goodies. That's how my birds eat most of the time.

Just want to say thanks so much for the advice! Kai seems to really like his sprouts. Hopefully this will able me to introduce him to new foods as well. Still working on hand taming, but he's coming along well. Super excited. Thanks again! ^_^ :thumbsup:
sammisams
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Zooey » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 pm

I wanted to sprout in jars, but couldn't find any... I should really use that flowerpot idea that you have, liz. Great idea!
They're not your whole life, but they make your life whole.
Perapumpernickelle/Perry :budgie2:
Duke :budgie2:
Zooey
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:29 pm

CinnamonParrots wrote:That's a great idea Liz! I should've thought of that a while ago, put wasted seeds into the flower pot! I wonder if that would work if seeds are mixed with pellets..hmmmm!

Pellets decay and contaminate the soil. The soil will mold.
But really - it gives you something to do to pick the little pellets out before you plant. HaHaHa
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:32 am

i just buy the basic budgie seed from the petstore but i add rolled oats and i chop the green tip (the very end) the little circles= ball green parts of brocolli off and add that to the seedmix so my budgie gets a little bit more greens without noticing even thou hes very good at eating his leafy greens
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet