Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Acting Odd

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Acting Odd

Postby ParrotParents » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:46 pm

My family is the new owner of a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. We've owned many birds and large parrots throughout the years. Most haven't been the handleing type, because we've never been able to purchase one from an early age. So we've always had to work with the birds to be able to hold them and such. Yet our new bird seems incredibly friendly to my father, and is much smarter then the other birds we've owned. Even as we first brought her in she was making tons of noises and talking. My father was able to hold her and pet her right off the bat. If we leave her in the cage and walk out of the room she starts squawking louder then any bird I've ever heard. We havent owned any macaws but my father said the screeching noise is similar to that of a macaw. Our bird has been through three previous owners. The last one didn't pay her much attention, but even so, the bird is so charismatic and loud. Do you guys have any idea why the bird is acting so outgoing on the first two full days of being in our household?
ParrotParents
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatoo, Parakeets, cockateels, ringnecks, African grey, amazon
Flight: No

Re: Acting Odd

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:49 pm

It may have been well socialized early on in a home environment. Then for whatever reason passed around but maintained a good association with humans from the start. It may have picked up Macaw squawks in a previous parrot owning household or rescue. And it probably learned to scream for attention as well.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Acting Odd

Postby ParrotParents » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Michael wrote:It may have been well socialized early on in a home environment. Then for whatever reason passed around but maintained a good association with humans from the start. It may have picked up Macaw squawks in a previous parrot owning household or rescue. And it probably learned to scream for attention as well.

Thank you. That helps a little. :)
ParrotParents
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatoo, Parakeets, cockateels, ringnecks, African grey, amazon
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet