Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Questions on my Newly Adopted Cherry Headed Conure

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Questions on my Newly Adopted Cherry Headed Conure

Postby KiekosGirl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I just adopted a Cherry Headed Conure from a Bird Show going on 3 weeks ago. I can tell that she is older, and was not very well taken care of by the man that I got her from, that had owned her for the past 5yrs. She was a rescue that he had taken in from Hurrican Katrina. Her beak was waaayyy overgrown, she could not come close to closing it. I trimmed the bottom so now she almost can but I am very nervous about trimming it anymore. First off does anyone have any tips about trimming an overgrown beak? She also had/has very overgrown nails, her right foot seems to be arthritic, or damaged/deformed in someway due to this. Which I would believe means that they have been that way for quite sometime. I barely clipped the ends of all her nails and almost everyone of them bled. I clip my Quakers toe nails the same and they rarely if ever bleed. Why is this, and how do I go about trimming them to wear they need to be? She also had this quiet squawk that she does continuously unless she is sleeping in her cage. She does it even worse when I am around and/or holding her, or next to her. I mean it is one after another. It sounds almost as if she is trying to call to someone/something over and over. I think I forgot to mention that she seems to be quite old, I dont quite know the true life expectancy of this breed of bird. I have heard different oppinions. Does anyone know how to get her to not do this noise constantly, it obviously is not a deal breaker she is here with us for good. But it can become quite annoying:( I love her so very much already, either way. I plan to take her into an avian vet after Thanksgiving sometime. She is coming around more and more everyday, she has never really been aggressive but she does seem quite scared:( At first I could only let her sit on my hand, and she would rush up to my shoulder and then try to get back to her cage. If anyone has any advice about Sassy it would be greatly appreciated
KiekosGirl
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot (2yrs)
Cherry Headed Conure(unknown,but older)
Flight: Yes

Re: Questions on my Newly Adopted Cherry Headed Conure

Postby Munchy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm

I'd wait to see what the vet said. This brings to mind a memory from long ago.... when we were kids, we had a budgie. It was blue and white. His name was Blue Belly. He had this weird thing going on with his beak in that it had to be trimmed every so often. I was just a kids so I only know what I know, but at some point my mom forgot to trim his beak and he died. I guess he couldn't eat. Why she didn't notice this I don't know, like I said I was only a kid. If I had any kind of beak problem with a bird of mine, I'd take my bird to the vet. Which you are doing, Let us know what the vet says.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet