Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Beak

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Beak

Postby Munchy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:49 pm

I know a birds beak can have what looks like new growth over old growth. What is this called? And at what point is it healthy versus not healthy? And what can you feed that increases beak health. Disney's looks a little to high up on one side, and I am a worrier. Currently he eats a pellet seed mixture and some soak mix at times. He also gets vegetables and fruit daily but different ones at different times and some grains. My niece gives her :gray: cooked chicken, which I do not give Disney. Is he lacking in protein? Or am I overly worried about normal beak growth.
Some conures I see do not have split levels on their beak. Disney has always had that, what looks like new growth over old.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Beak

Postby Munchy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 pm

He also get a tiny piece of scrambled egg probably once a week. I do give him almonds as a treat when we have them, maybe once a day and on rare occasions two times a day. The pellets he has now are Zupreem. Vegetables, for instance last night he had steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
Munchy
Conure

Postby cml » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Munchy wrote:He also get a tiny piece of scrambled egg probably once a week. I do give him almonds as a treat when we have them, maybe once a day and on rare occasions two times a day. The pellets he has now are Zupreem. Vegetables, for instance last night he had steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

From what I understand, some growth isnt any dangers, but experts out there - correct me if Im wrong.

What I do know though, is that Zupreem has a bad reputation, so I would probably switch over to another brand =)!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Munchy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:02 pm

He also has dark grey lines on each side of his beak. I am assuming this is from sliding along the perch. I believe I read somewhere that cuttle bones were not that important for a bird, should I get him one?
Also is there some kind of extra nutrient he can have when he molts? I groom him buts it's not the same as another bird, Between his beak and his new feathers he's looking pretty scraggly right now. Although he seems quite happy. Good to know about Zupreem. hE also doesn't seem to like Zupreem as much as the pellets I had before. I 'm going shopping today for different pellets.
Munchy
Conure

Postby Shelby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:05 pm

I've heard good things about Harrison's, Roudybush, and Totally Organics. Remember to slowly convert him to the new food so he doesn't refuse to eat the new food and end up losing too much weight.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Postby Munchy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

This is the first time he has had Zupreem, I wonder if this has something to do with it.
Munchy
Conure

Postby Munchy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:57 pm

He now has Roudy Bush pellets. And I also cut the amount of seeds I add by at least 65 percent.
I also saw some pellet mix that had bits of dried cherries, leafy greens and other nutritious ingredients. It was called Natures ? I knew I'd forget, I didn't get it but I am wondering if anyone has tried it and if it is of good quality.
Munchy
Conure

Postby Naurthon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:49 pm

It is really hard to determine the condition of your parrot's beak based on a written description. I don't think any of us here are avian vets, so if you're really concerned, you should check with your bird's doctor.

I have observed with my birds that the keratin sheath that makes up their beaks appear to have two layers, a bottom layer directly over the bone and a second, upper layer. This upper layer is sometimes chipped and worn back a good bit from the end of the beak. Take a look at the tip of the beak of the bird pictured on this page http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-care/the-bird-beak.aspx (look under the line from the number 4 shown) and you'll see what I mean. The kind of chipping shown in this picture is just normal wear, and if your parrot has something similar, I'd say you have no cause for concern.

You shouldn't expect the wear to be exactly the same on both sides of the beak. Parrots didn't evolve in cages, and the metal bars and toys are hard on parrot beaks and can cause somewhat asymmetrical wear resulting from things like falls against bars or fighting with a bell.

If you can find an identifiable mark or scratch on your parrot's beak, watch it for several weeks and you will notice it slowly moving down the beak toward the tip as the keratin grows. (The keratin grows from the base, under the nostrils, toward the tip.)

Again, if you're really concerned, check with your vet.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey

Postby Munchy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:37 pm

It is the top layer that worries me. It is usually up higher than the bottom part as he slides it along his perches. But it is much higher than usual on just the one side. I have a feeling he chipped it during a fight with a bell. His eagle talons need to be clipped, so I am going to try and take him in for his first vet appointment and see what the vet says. I've been wanting to meet the vet who will be his vet. He is the only avian vet I have been able to find out here, and he is with the same veterinarian office all my other pets belong to.
I bought him a cuttle bone but of course he'd rather slide along the perch. He does it really fast like it's a game. :)
Munchy
Conure

Postby Naurthon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 pm

I had to get Dante a smaller bell for the same reason. Fighting with the bigger one seemed to be causing too much wear on his beak. That layer is designed to wear away and regrow, so I'd guess you don't really have anything to worry about. Your vet will be able to tell you for sure.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet