Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Barkeeper's Friend

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Barkeeper's Friend

Postby callison » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:20 am

Hello,

Does anyone know if Barkeeper's Friend (used for cleaning stainless steel cookware) is parrot-safe to have around the house?

Obviously I don't intend to let the parrot get into it, but I mean to use on the cookware.

Thanks!
callison
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cape
Flight: Yes

Re: Barkeeper's Friend

Postby liz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:05 am

Keep your bird in another part of the house. Open the kitchen window and turn on your exhaust fan.
When you think you have gotten rid of all the chemical smell, go outside for 10 minutes to clear your smeller then go back in the house. If you smell anything you have to ventilate more before letting your bird loose again.

I am amazed that Rambo can smell toast in the kitchen from the sunroom. I serve my elders breakfast in bed every morning. Rambo will leave the sunroom, walk through the dining room, kitchen and hallway to get to my mother's room and beg for a piece of toast.

My house is childproof which means there is nothing that my critters can get into or knock over. I used to keep candy up high so the dogs couldn't get it. Now I have to keep it in the cabinet to prevent air assaults.

Just keeping a lid on something is not enough. I put lids back on and wash the bottles before I close them behind critter proof doors. That even includes a bottle of dish soap. Bar soap is also kept under cover.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet