Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help advice needed

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Help advice needed

Postby KieranKadeStacey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

We have had are orange wing amazon jack for only 5 weeks, he is are first parrot. We have been concentrating on getting his diet right off the junk food and on to fresh fruit and veg he is ten yrs old we believe. Recently I have noticed jack has turned very dull looking and this week has lost a few feathers from his left wing only and one from his body, I came in today to find his his beak had a loose piece almost like a scale I just want to make sure this is a molt and not something more serious that we're missing being inexperienced.
Any advice would be amazing are we just being panicky new parronts or should he have gone to the vet like yesterday thanks x

http://photobucket.com/Jackthediva

:amazon:
KieranKadeStacey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange winged Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Help advice needed

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I would take him to an avian vet, do a full check up including fecal grams, and a blood panel.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Re: Help advice needed

Postby Shelby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:24 am

KieranKadeStacey wrote:We have been concentrating on getting his diet right off the junk food and on to fresh fruit and veg
What was his previous diet? And yes, if you have ANY health concerns, you should consult an avian vet right away. None of us here are vets, so we can't give you definite answers.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet