Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Onion?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Onion?

Postby paper_lantern » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm

I had read online that both cooked and raw onions can be toxic to parrots. However, last night I was looking into ordering some Higgins Worldly Cuisine for Furbie. I had bought him the "Path to India" one with fruits, rice, and spices, but I figured one with veggies would probably be better (and he had loved the fruit one, so I figured he would love the veggie one as well).

For those who don't know, the worldly cuisines are foods that you cook for your parrot. Well the one with veggies has onions listed as one of its ingredients. Its made of quinoa, carrots, tomato, almond celery, rolled oats, potato, spinach, kelp, and onion. Is this safe?!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain
paper_lantern
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Onion?

Postby marie83 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 am

Everything I've read has said not to feed onion so I would leave it out to be on the safe side or put something else that you know is definitely safe in as a substitute.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Re: Onion?

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am

Better safe than sorry. There is no good reason to be feeding onions to parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet