Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does anyone give Chia Seed to their parrots?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Does anyone give Chia Seed to their parrots?

Postby paper_lantern » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:44 pm

I know chia seeds are brimming with nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids. I put some in water and drink the "gel" every morning. I was wondering if anybody gives these seeds to their birds? I'm not talk about the sprouted seeds, but does anybody offer them dry or give their bird the gel?

I contemplated sprinkling some of the dry seed over my bird's veggies, but I wanted to make sure this is alright.
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain
paper_lantern
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Does anyone give Chia Seed to their parrots?

Postby laducockatiel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 pm

paper_lantern wrote:I know chia seeds are brimming with nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids. I put some in water and drink the "gel" every morning. I was wondering if anybody gives these seeds to their birds? I'm not talk about the sprouted seeds, but does anybody offer them dry or give their bird the gel?

I contemplated sprinkling some of the dry seed over my bird's veggies, but I wanted to make sure this is alright.

I just checked to see if they are safe for birds and I found this web page:http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/22677-chia-seeds.html. Basically, the peeps on this forum are saying that they feed these seeds to their birds and even the owner (I think) of avian organics uses them in their foods, so I reckon they'll be good for your bird too!
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby lwis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 am

I make gluten free crackers using chia seeds as a binder as well as a topping. My bird doesn't particularly care for them, but many of the other birds I work with love them. The only thing I could maybe see being a possible problem is if they have too much (that usually goes for anything though). I know they can be used to treat constipation in humans, so I don't know how they would affect a birds digestive system if eaten in excess.
lwis
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby pfinarffle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 am

We make "chop," which is basically a melange of mixed veggies, cooked pasta and dry grains all chopped in a food processor that we portion into zip loc bags and store in the freezer. We periodically thaw a bag at a time and mix it with sprouts, fruits and other items for variety. We feed it at breakfast time and/or dinner. I usually sprinkle chia seed, sesame seed, flax seed, spices, sometimes a touch of yogurt etc in random amounts here and there for flavoring. Our :senegal: loves it, it forces him to eat veggies b/c the pieces are too small for him to pick and choose, and it's so easy to do!
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby paper_lantern » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you guys! I decided to give it a try and sprinkled the chia seed on Furbie's veggie mash. He went crazy for it, absolutely loved it! :-)
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain
paper_lantern
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet