Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

?'s about full spectrum lighting/screaming issues

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: ?'s about full spectrum lighting/screaming issues

Postby Tarkus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:33 am

Rather than making recommendations on what particular brands of lights to use I would instead suggest that the companion bird owner request that the light manufacturer send them specific data (including a spectral analysis) of their bulbs UVB output, its CRI rating and a comparison graph showing how long it holds its spectrum. Using the information above should help you determine whether or not the bulb is a good choice for your companion bird or not. Any company that will not produce this data and guarantee it should (in my opinion) be avoided. I would suggest using tube lighting (usually available in 2 and 4 foot lengths) first as they have the advantage of a larger interior surface area in which to place the phosphor coating which creates the specific spectrum of light thrown by the bulb - some even have special indentations (the Power Twist Bulbs by Duro Vita-Lite) to maximize this area. Compact fluorescent bulbs have a smaller area for the phosphors to adhere to but I have found several bulbs that have a high CRI index of 91 to 96 as well as a UVB output of between 290 and 310 nanometers wavelength. The only true benefit of the compact version of these bulbs is their ease of use as they can be used in most fixtures that will accept a standard light bulb socket - in comparison to mounting the fixtures needed to hold a tube light.

These lights should be placed so that the bulb is located within two feet of the bird. When the bird is beyond two feet distance from the light the effect of the bulb are greatly lessened. (NOTE: Be sure that the bulb and any electrical cords are always out of the reach of your bird!) These bulbs should only be used with a light timer. Having these lights go on or off at even slightly different times of the day could potentially cause abnormal reproductive behaviors in your bird. Some of these potential problems are: territorial aggression, compulsive egg laying and excessive release of sexual hormones and adrenaline which several avian veterinarians (including Dr. Jenkins) and myself have seen cause health problems for these birds due to toxicities caused by their over-release (see earlier description of the Hyderian Gland and the Circadian Clock). Both of these behaviors are best avoided with our companion birds. We wish to use this lighting for durations just long enough for the proper assimilation of nutrients, but not so long as to potentially cause problems.

It is also very important to set your timer so that the light is on during the normally brightest time of day so as to not add to the total photoperiod your bird receives. (Example: If the light should be on 6 hours per day a good time period would be from 9AM to 3PM - thereby not lengthening the bird's photoperiod as would happen in parts of the country where the length of outdoor light period shortens dramatically during he winter months, like Minnesota where we live, if the light were to remain on after 5PM).

Just an FYI , there is a ton of info on this topic. Remember if you filter the lamp at all it is rendered ineffective.

All the best.
Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software.We apologize for any errors.
Tarkus
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Catalina Macaw, U2
Flight: Yes

Postby pfinarffle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 am

To the OP, we too have a rehomed 18 year-old Sennie. He acts the exact same way your Sennies do whenever we leave the room. I totally agree with you in that I believe it's a separation anxiety issue. PeeWee has been rehomed so many times now that I'm sure he's terrified once we leave the apartment-- or even room-- it may be the last we've seen of him!

We also have a full spectrum light near his cage during the winter months. He sleeps in a completely dark walk-in closet in a sleeper cage for around 12 hours a night, then gets brought out to his large cage during the day. We noticed that once he started getting a good 12 hours of sleep a night, he was a lot less screechy in the mornings. So I wondered what your sleep set up was for your birds. Make sure they get a nice, quiet, dark environment for a good 12 hours or so or else they night be cranky from lack of good rest. We put the lamp on the side of the cage near his feeder bowl. I doubt it's going to hurt his eyes. Parrots I believe actually see in the UV spectrum. We've had that lamp there for a couple years and he's been healthy as an ox all things considered. I tend to agree with Michael, though, since whenever we take him out in warmer weather, he seems to be a lot healthier than just with the UV lamp. I know it's unrealistic for everyone here to take their parrots outdoors, but it does seem like there's no great substitute for the real deal sometimes.

If the lack of sleep issue isn't at the bottom of things, I think it's time to behaviorally work through their anxiety. When your birds are quiet, walk in their room and give them some attention or treats. When they're screaming, avoid the place. My husband and I basically treat our guy like a child. If he acts badly, he gets a time-out, ie a bedsheet over his cage for a few minutes. When he's nice and quiet, we give him treats. It seems to have cut down on the screaming, though definitely hasn't stopped it. As you said, parrots are flock animals. They will always wonder where you're at when you're not around. It's tough. But there are definitely things you can do to cut down on the noise with enough time and patience! :senegal:
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby bassrox75 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:40 am

Thanks eveyone for all of the valuable advice. I have been making sure over the last few weeks that they are going to bed at the same time every night and we have had some fairly well behaved Senegals on our hands at the moment. I went and bought a featherbrite bulb and have yet to use it. It fits into a standard socket so the next step is finding a suitable lamp and a timer. The weather here has been great so ive been opening the window and letting them hang out on a perch and people-watch. Ill try to update again when i set up the full spectrum bulb over the next couple weeks. One more situation specific question before i go: because our Senegal's average day starts at four pm and ends at four am what time should i be turning the light on and off? Technically the brightest part of the day is almost over by the time we all wake up.
bassrox75
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet