Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vet check up question

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Vet check up question

Postby brfussne » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:48 pm

I took my Black Headed Caique for its first check up. The Avian vet seemed really nice & well knowledgeable. However, one thing he said concerned me a bit. He recommend I get Kismet's band cut off and get her micro chipped. He said breeder bands are of no importance, only to have the bird identifiable if it gets sick to trace it back to its breeder. Ive never heard of anyone doing this? What is your opinion?
brfussne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Vet check up question

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:58 pm

No. Tell your vet to stop peddling for money.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby brfussne » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 pm

He also said 3 blood tests to check for beak & feather disease, Chlamydophila, and CBD/diff. Ive heard of beak & feather disease, but not the other 2. Are these necessary services needed or is my vet trying to peddle for more money? Should I switch vets?
brfussne
Conure

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Those are legit tests but it's hard to say. Vets/Doctors always try to "play it safe" by charging you for more tests. An outstanding vet/doctor can be honest with you and only recommend the ones really necessary without pushing others. You as a client have to do your research and keep them in line or they will rack up a fortune of tests on you. I can't specifically speak to these tests so I'm just talking in general.

Truman was raised without a band and I actually specifically had a band installed on him (open band unfortunately). I think any parrot that is flighted and/or taken outside regularly should be banded. Just cause vets can read the micro chips doesn't mean the rest of the general public, law enforcement, and even you can.

Since your parrot already has the band and is used to it, it would be pointless to take it off (unless there is specific irritation or cause to). It's the most widely accepted identifier if the parrot ever goes missing. Also it is proof of ownership in terms of any kind of run in with the law. It's unlikely but not impossible that bored/nosy cops give you a hard time over a bird you're traveling with. Having it banded is pretty convincing that it's a pet though. Good luck convincing them an invisible implanted microchip identifies it though.

As for tests, a major consideration is the source of your parrot and a good vet would take this into consideration. I have never had any blood work on Kili. Truman came with recommended testing and he's had some when he had his injury. Beyond that, I don't think it's even worth putting a parrot through the trauma and bloodloss. I literally thought Truman died after I was bringing him home from a blood test! They took so much blood and did a poor job stopping the blood afterwards (when he was already sick/injured) that he was laying at the bottom of his carrier on his belly, eyes, closed, and not moving. When I saw this I almost had a heart attack and started crying. But he was just really weak and eventually came back. Someone else on this forum wasn't so lucky. They just got a new parrot, perfectly healthy, brought to vet for preemptive testing, vet did a poor job taking blood (and I forget the exact mistake but it was mentioned here) and the bird died. And this isn't the only time I've heard of this happening. So I am really careful when it comes to vets and anything more than physical examination, fecal testing, and other non-intrusive measures. Generally I don't think it's worth tempting these things unless it's a life/death situation for the bird anyway. I don't get any blood testing on Kili (unless she ever gets sick and absolutely requires it). It's not even about the money at this point but risk. Just some food for thought. If you have any doubts about the source of your bird though, it may be worth it to get all the testing out of the way up front so you don't have to get blood taken down the road again some time.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby brfussne » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Thank you so much for replying & sharing yours & others stories Michael. It really makes me think twice about my vet and the procedures they do. I'm going to do more research on the diseases, the procedures they do, my avian vet & other vets who may be better for Kismet before getting any blood work done. I did get a fecal test done. I am very unsure about the parrot store i got Kismet from. Most of the birds are out on stands for anyone to handle or touch, parrot willing. With that being said, who knows how many different people come in each day to handle the birds is unknown and what germs they bring into the store. There is a bottle of sanitizer at the front of the store for people to sanitize their hands before handling the birds, but once again, who knows how many people actually do that. Its not like the employees monitor their customers. Kismet has started to sneeze the last few days but I think it may be related to her pin feathers growing in, she scratches off a lot of dry skin.
brfussne
Conure

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:53 am

Ok
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:54 am

my vet told me doing blood work on a parrot was an absolute last resort it's too risky he also never said i should micro chip him and he didn't have a leg band and i did outdoor freeflight with him.i would look into a new vet.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby brfussne » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:Not to mention the risks involved with injecting a microchip into an animal as small as a parrot. You apparently need a very skilled vet that knows what she's doing, or you can actually risk killing the bird.

Further, we have a highly respected avian vet in the area that has published many books. I've never seen him personally, but I've heard that he is VERY hesitant with giving blood tests, and prefers to just use his experience and look at the bird to judge if the bird is healthy or not. Apparently, the hallmark of a good avian vet is the fact that they are hesitant about drawing blood from a bird.

That's just what I've heard. My area of expertise is not in avian medicine.

Cage Cleaner, what avian vet do you take your parrots to, if you don't mind me asking? Is there any vets here in San Diego you recommend? Should i try the one you mentioned who published many books?
brfussne
Conure

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm

ok
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby brfussne » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:http://www.medicalcenterforbirds.com/

I believe it's this vet. Not 100% sure. Either way, he is in northern California, and no where near San Diego. Sorry.

I assumed you were in the SoCal area since you said
Cage Cleaner wrote:Further, we have a highly respected avian vet in the area that ...
Never mind, NorCal is too far away.
brfussne
Conure

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet