Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

please i don't know what happened

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: please i don't know what happened

Postby Sparky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 pm

I see your amendment regarding the food, so glad it's proper baby parrot formula :)

If you think something's 'off' about him, definitely bring in the big guns and get him to an avian vet. It will take a weight off your mind and sort him out pronto.

Is he your first bird or have you had a few before?
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 am

Thank goodness it was parrot food. May I suggest that you slowly switch him to a better known brand? Orlux seems too sketchy.. I'd go for Zupreem, Roudybush, Harrion's. Dont buy Kaytee because they recently had bad batches causing kidney/liver problems in baby birds..

When he starts to take less and less formula, offer a plate of pellets and a plate of chopped veggies, fruits, grains, etc. Offer the fresh foods everyday.

Another thing to remember is that no matter what, give him as much formula as he wants until he absolutely refuses. Don't shorten the formula unless he refuses because you don't want to force wean him no matter what. In the wild, baby birds are always offered food from their parents until they don't want it anymore. This creates a confident bird that doesn't develop a habit of begging out of insecurity. Even after he weans, he might head bob, then offer him more formula.

Good luck!
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby laducockatiel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 am

I know I always say this but when in doubt, consult an avian vet.

I better make that my signature :mrgreen:
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby DanielA » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 am

laducockatiel wrote:I know I always say this but when in doubt, consult an avian vet.

I better make that my signature :mrgreen:

:thumbsup:
DanielA
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet