Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tropican Parrot Granules - Hagen

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Tropican Parrot Granules - Hagen

Postby Wayne361 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello....anyone have any reviews/experience/opinion on this brand of pellet? I think Oscar is growing tired of his existing pellet - Pretty Bird Natural Gold - as I witnessed him throwing out the pellet when offered when he was hungry. The tropican is locally available so looking for input.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Tropican Parrot Granules - Hagen

Postby animal_lover » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi there. That's what I feed my Jojo. The breeder feeds his flock with Tropican . Jojo is still on the high performance since he s still a youngin' :D . Jojo does seem to like them and is at proper weight. I half considered switching to Harrison's though since many people on this forum use that brand. Hope this helps

Animal lover :meyers:
animal_lover
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: No

Postby spiral » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi there
i have given my parrot hagen tropimix before i have read both good things about it, and also bad things, because it is not an organic feed.
That said, my parrot did not dislike eating but now i feed her harrissions because if she has troppymix she plays with the died vegtables and throws them around more than she does the harrisson's pellets because they are moist.

its often is abit tricky feeding her because my indian ringneck enjoys sleeping in her food bowl.

As inorganic foods go i think tropican granuels arn't too bad but i know it does contain salt and has a strong friut flavour.

I like the smell though, and i think they seem very pallitable pellets for many difffrent species of parrots i liked the look and smel of tropimix but dit not feed it too my parrot for a very long time because of the salt content of the granuals.

i may feed tropican in the future but i am still not sure. as i feel more relaxed about harrisons even though comparitavily its an expensive feed i think that its worth it, because harrisons has no preserves or chemicals.

I hope this helps. :irn:
spiral
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck

Postby Grey_Moon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 am

Jacko (and my other two ex-birds) ate that for a few years, and for a lower-cost non-organic food its by far my favourite one.

Its the best out of the non-organics IMO and its also one of the ones with the most ingredients. I actually prefer it to Harrisons due to what you're getting for the price. Harrisons may be partially organic, but it isn't all organic and if its whole selling point is that then its useless because not all the food is organic. Plus, that's a huge *huge* mark-up for what amounts to a blend of synthetic vitamins, peanuts and sunflower seeds. The maintenance harrisons is on the same page, that's a ridiculous price for something that its a low-fat corn-based pellet. Especially when you follow the ridiculous 90% pellet-diet recommendations on the bag...I want my birds eating something better than sunflower seeds, peanuts, soy and corn for that price and hype.

Hagen lifetime granules I also like because it has a nice middle range of fat (about 9%) in the pellets, which can prevent some of the dry feet and peeling beaks you run into with the other pellets (which are in the 3-5% fat range) or on the other hand the quick growing beaks and liver/blood fat issues with seed-only or High Potency Harrisons (in the 15% fat range)
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet