Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

my grey fall down today :(

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

my grey fall down today :(

Postby naomi » Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 am

hi everybody,
my grey fall down this morning very badly.he always keep trying his flying ability everyday but today is very bad.he roll over and his body hit under his own cage.he cant climb very well,and his left foot seems pain because he cant stand on that foot .i bring him to vet and they said he just feel pain now,there is nothing they can do till 1-2 days to see how serious is it.im really scared and worried,im scared he will be disable.can anybody tell me what is the sign if the leg is totally broke?please i wait for the reply.thankssss

*please never clip your bird's wing too short,dont even clip it if u can,its very cruel and it can make them injured like what happen to mine :cry: (i really want to kill his ex owner now,grrrrrr...)
naomi
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Congo Grey
2 cockatiels
goffin cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: my grey fall down today :(

Postby naomi » Fri May 04, 2012 11:06 am

thanks michael (i love truman x-ray photo),
but none of vet here can x-ray a bird.i know it sounds weird but i go to the best vet in my city and they said they never had any experience to x-ray a bird.

i hope they can figure out soon what happen to my bird,and can you tell me how the parrot will act if the injured is really serious?he still eat now but he cant stand very well,he fall down from his perch again.i put a soft blanket under his cage,at least it wont be so hurt if he fall down.its very bad i cant do anything and the vet just said ''wait for more days''
naomi
Cockatiel

2 cockatiels
goffin cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Can you ring round some other vets and see if they can/have the experience to carry out an xray procedure? There may be other vets who will be willing to treat birds. Your grey may be fine in a few days but if it is broken there are things that can be done to help it heal correctly and ideally the sooner its done the better the chance of success. If there are any forums which people near you use or other people you know with birds ask around to see who they use. Unfortunately there may be quite a bit of travelling involved to find a vet who has experience with them or is willing to learn and seek advice from someone who is experienced to guide them.

Good luck and keep us updated.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Fri May 04, 2012 5:44 pm

You may need to keep him in a carrier or tub so that he stops falling down or it won't heal. I had to Keep Truman in a special tub for an entire month when he was injured.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby naomi » Sat May 05, 2012 5:53 am

thanks guys,
we will bring him to vet out of our city to get x-ray and it takes around 4 hours till we can get there and come back.
he look pretty bad,standing 1 foot with a dropping wings.dsnt make any sound.i give him mash and warm food this morning and now we will get on the way.
hope he can make it.thanks again guys.
naomi
Cockatiel

2 cockatiels
goffin cockatoo

Postby cml » Sat May 05, 2012 6:36 am

naomi wrote:thanks guys,
we will bring him to vet out of our city to get x-ray and it takes around 4 hours till we can get there and come back.
he look pretty bad,standing 1 foot with a dropping wings.dsnt make any sound.i give him mash and warm food this morning and now we will get on the way.
hope he can make it.thanks again guys.

Best of luck, I really hope it goes well!
Keep us updated please.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby naomi » Mon May 21, 2012 1:33 pm

hello,
after 3 weeks being nightmare for my momo,finaly today he can stand with both of his leg again.
he play,climb,scratch his head and can sleep with one leg again.:)
thanks everybody for the support,and i hope he will never fall down again. :gray:

*he wasnt able to scratch his head for many days and i find out his pin feather grow so much.
i would like to help him to preen this pin,but im not sure why because he seems in pain if i touch it.
i read in forum we should break off this pin feather but im quite scared to hurt him.
any idea guys??
naomi
Cockatiel

2 cockatiels
goffin cockatoo

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 pm

happy to see he's doing better. when i preen mya :corella: she rests her head in one hand with her beak between my fingers then i start away from her head and gently rub off the pin feathers working my way toward her head until nothing comes off or she moves her head.have you put anything next to his cage that he can climb down like a tree or a net so he doesn't fall again?
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby naomi » Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm

yes pennyandrocky,
i put a bed cover so and today he jump again but dsnt hurt him at all.
i tried to preen the pin but nothing come off of it.
its very thick needles and when i rub it,he more scrath his head i think i make it more scratchy :lol:
i do shower him more often now,so u have any food list that helps moulting season?
thanks!
naomi
Cockatiel

2 cockatiels
goffin cockatoo

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet