Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Beak growth

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Beak growth

Postby Polarn » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:41 pm

I've shared your worries regarding stitch with my Polarn (also amazon) who's beak seemed to grow out of control even if he was constantly chewing stuffs. So I started encouraging more chewing of wood and more chewing rather than breaking. Meaning he always breaks off corners and edges of stuff. But I decided to get 2"-3" thick natural branches (sometimes even thicker) then took the power drill and drilled holes and jammed nuts and seeds into the holes to really encourage him to work through the wood to get them treats. This does come with a slight downside though. Rather than debarking his branches he chews em straight off from time to time. But then I got plenty of trees and it can't be bad for him couse his over growing beaks seems to be under control ATM.

But I shared your thought of "an amazon needing it's beak trimmed? Huh?" when I first noticed it.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Looks like I have to postpone the visit anyway, I have a probable project meeting on friday which is at the same time. Seeing it isnt any hurry, I am gonna think about the trimming a little more. The vet has previously told me its nothing to worry about, but I still want them to take a look at it at one point or another.

Edit:
Changed it a little bit for clarity.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby LPolliard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Chico is an Ekkie and I have his beak ground with a Dremel at an exotic bird shop. For beak and nails they charge me $13. Not too bad for a bi-monthly proceedure. I could learn to do it but don't want Chico to associate this unpleasant experience with me. He doesn't like getting it done but he shows no long term trauma from the procedure. It looks scary and some times I worry about the heat being generated if they get too aggressive. I know from hobby use that this can happen. Next time I will recommend that they apply the tool with light pressure and only for short periods of time to let the heat from the friction to dissipate. From many internet photos I can see that Chico's beak is larger than any I have seen. It isn't to the point of being debilitating but I would rather keep it under control then have Chico subject to a major procedure later. His beak gets a sharp point at the end I like groomed. Even through biting damage mostly comes from the lowered mandible he sometime strikes downward using the upper mandible.

I prefer grinding his nails to clipping as somethings a dull clipper can crush and not cut a nail. Can a beak be clipped or are they only filed and ground?

http://db.tt/AykEXXt3
Last edited by LPolliard on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:eclectus: Chico
LPolliard
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus

Postby Grey_Moon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Jacko's beak issues disappeared (they were similar to your 'zon's issues) when I took her off of pellets and showered her daily to be honest with you.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet