Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wing Concern???

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Wing Concern???

Postby xxlazaro » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Hello I have to little cockatiels and I am a bit worried because the other day my bird apparently got frightened and started flapping his wings (barely does this) but this is the second time when he hurts his wing but this time he bled and he didn't bleed too much but his wing is stained but today he flapped again and we tried to check his wing without hurting it and it was still stained and when he preens the little dust comes out stained.Is this bad or ok I dont know and any help is appreciated.

Again Thanks :) :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel:
xxlazaro
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Wing Concern???

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

This sounds very bad actually. I would personally bet that a blood feather broke and is bleeding. These need to be removed to prevent infection as well as the potential to bleed out and die. You should bring your cockatiel to a vet immediately. Although some people can pull them safely I would not feel that I could do it without serious trauma and pain to my parrot.

A quick google produced this: http://www.cockatielcottage.net/feathers.html

You can apply flour, a clotting agent, or cornstarch to stop the bleeding temporarily. I heard flour and cornstarch is better because when they preen it's safe to eat.

Remain calm and soothing so their heart rate is maintained at a low level.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Re: Wing Concern???

Postby GreenWing » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Good advice from Eurycerus. A broken blood feather can be fatal for a bird. Corn starch and applying pressure can help the wound clot. Take your bird to an avian vet pronto to avoid an infection at this point.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet