Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My parrotlet has uneven tail feathers

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

My parrotlet has uneven tail feathers

Postby Fportilla77 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:33 pm

My parrot has uneven tail feathers I trimmed one side so they are even but they grow again to be uneven. Help!
Fportilla77
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: My parrotlet has uneven tail feathers

Postby Eurycerus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 pm

I wouldn't trim tail feathers. That sounds completely unnecessary and could cause issues with flight, unless a vet or knowledgeable individual indicates that it's a safety concern or causes uneven flight patterns.

My guess is that your parrot has lost a tail feather that hasn't grown back yet. I'm skeptical that the tail feathers are actually uneven. You trimming them is going to cause far more problems but since you started you need to make sure it's symmetrical and then let them grow out.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Re: My parrotlet has uneven tail feathers

Postby marie83 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Eurycerus wrote:I wouldn't trim tail feathers. That sounds completely unnecessary and could cause issues with flight, unless a vet or knowledgeable individual indicates that it's a safety concern or causes uneven flight patterns.

My guess is that your parrot has lost a tail feather that hasn't grown back yet. I'm skeptical that the tail feathers are actually uneven. You trimming them is going to cause far more problems but since you started you need to make sure it's symmetrical and then let them grow out.

Agree with all of this plus sometimes the way they hold their feathers can make them look uneven with in actual fact they are not. I imagine that a feather has just broken off or been shed if they really are uneven but that will sort itself out in time.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet