Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new to birds what to feed

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

new to birds what to feed

Postby r0ckinricky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:34 pm

i forgot what kind of food i previously bought my bird and don't have the package anymore does it matter if i switch it up and how often should i feed her. it just looks like the shell from the seeds on top should i mix it around frequently. also its a parakeet
r0ckinricky
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parakeet
Flight: No

Re: new to birds what to feed

Postby TeddyBare » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 am

I don't know how much of a problem it would be to switch brand / type of pellets, maybe someone else with more knowledge will come by soon. But, would it help you to remember which ones you currently have if you went back to the same shop and looked at all of the packages? Can you remember where it was on the shelf or what colour the package was? It might spark your memory.

What do you mean where you've written that it looks like the shell from the seeds on top'? Are you changing her food regularly? It's not very healthy to leave food sitting out for longer than a day especially if your house is a bit humid. You should be emptying and washing the food and water dishes regularly too.

As for how often you feed her, I think that depends on quite a few things. What are you feeding her? When you're feeding fresh wet food (fruit and veg) then you need to remove any uneaten food fairly promptly because mould can grow within only a couple of hours. Dry food can safely be left for longer before it needs to be removed, but it is not sufficient alone. Also, your parakeet always needs to have access to fresh clean water (you should be changing this and washing the dish every day).
TeddyBare
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet