Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Allergy Awareness!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Parrot Allergy Awareness!

Postby Grey_Moon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Just a heads up to all you parronts:

Parrots can and do have allergies!!

Birds have symptoms similar to people and pets, skin issues, itchiness, reoccuring infections or substandard bodily health due to the stress of the allergen, self mutilation, inflammation, as well as sometimes respiratory distress.

Case and point Jacko appears to have an allergy to the corn/gluten/soy/artificial additives. She also apparently gets itchy indoors especially so she might have air quality sensitivities as well.
I know thats a pretty varied list---but seeing as most pellets have multiple ingredients that can cause problems its hard to pinpoint.
I do know that since she went back to a pellet/bread containing artificial additives as well as corn (her TOPS bread had barley and sunflower so its unclear if gluten/sunflower these are an issue at this point) poor girl has been itchy as hell. Her feet are reddened and her skin on her face patch flushes easily, her feet are beginning to flake again too :(
I can't wait to get her off this crap -_-

I'll be putting her on the Micrograin from China Prairie for now as I can get it and adding almonds n sunflower to the sprout mix (extra vit E which she appears to benefit from---I was putting vit E oil on her feet and they looked beautiful!).

When this comes back in stock I want to try some of this http://sproutpeople.org/birddr.html ---buying in bulk of course to justify the outrageous shipping :P
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet