Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sun Conure is plucking. NUTRITION ISSUE?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Sun Conure is plucking. NUTRITION ISSUE?

Postby TheGirons » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey everyone!

Sun Conure has been plucking it's feathers, and she always seems to eat sunflower seeds above all. How can I steer her away from that, I feel like she is being picky. I can't get her to eat veggies nor fruit. Any help would be helpful.

Also, any ideas on treats to use?

-The Girons & Mango the Sun Conure
TheGirons
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Sun Conure is plucking. NUTRITION ISSUE?

Postby Polarn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 pm

My first thought for a treat is sunflower seeds, but that is only when you have eliminated all and any sunflower seeds from her regular diet. Any treat you use should never be given unless earned for best result.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby TheGirons » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 pm

yes, we are taking away sunflower seeds as of today.

and we have a vet appointment for tomorrow, to rule out plucking as a health issue.
TheGirons
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:08 am

Try to convert her onto a pelleted diet, seeds have very little nutrition in them and alot of them are very high in fat.
After that and she has been eating them reliably for a few weeks (weigh before and after feeding) cut back on the pellets slightly and offer the foods she wont eat in as many different ways as needed- mix it in with things, mash them up, offer cooked, raw , little pieces, big pieces, turn the food into a toy by hanging it up, eat the food in front of your bird. you will need to weigh your bird daily during this process to ensure she isn't losing too much weight. It can take anything from a few days to a few years to get a bird eating fresh but its vital you never give up.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet