Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiels on bottom of cage???

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Cockatiels on bottom of cage???

Postby xxlazaro » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello I have two cockatiels and the bottom of their cage is right next to my bed and so today I slept during the day for a little and my brother woke me up to see that she was sleeping next to me in the bottom of the cage right next to where I sleep. I'm a little worried because I've heard sick birds go to the bottom of the cage and my brother says she just wanted to sleep with me. I don't know what to think so I'm looking for anyone's help if you know something please let. Let me know, any help is appreciated.

Thanks again :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel:
xxlazaro
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiels on bottom of cage???

Postby marie83 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:47 pm

She may well have just wanted to be near you if she is tame and feels safe with you as a member of her flock but at the same time you can never be too cautious. If she usually has chance to sleep next to you but doesn't normally or even if she doesn't I would still be on high alert for anything else that might signal illness. Does she continue to do it? eating less? eating more? weigh less? losing condition? poor feather quality? sleeping more? playing less? quieter? noiser? fluffed up? etc

If you have any doubts about her health it is best to get her a check up at the vets to be on the safe side.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Polarn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:32 am

Tiels though are naturally ground foragers so for them to be at the bottom isn't too unnatural however sleeping is done in safety. But as Marie said keep an eye out to see if there are anything else that seems off. Mine is on the ground quite frequent, got a couple of square feet of ground materials where he can spend time foraging for millet that I crumble across it. Mostly for the galah to activate herself though but he enjoys ground foraging as well. Anyways. Mine always sleep in the birch or on his swing pretty much.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:43 am

Ya they are a natural ground foragers.My tiel sleeps sitting on the ground when she is outside.But normally inside the cage she goes to her favorite perch when its time to sleep where she feels safe and cozy.Please check whether this scenario continues.If so,its good to consult a vet immediately.
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:57 am

Our cockatiel often sits at the bottom of the cage when we are sitting down next to his cage or when he wants to come out of the cage (the door is at the bottom). As long as it's not unusual for the cockatiel to be doing so I wouldn't worry too much but I would still suggest taking him to a vet to get checked out. It's always better to be safe than sorry as 'tiels are good at hiding if they are sick as they are flock birds.

:-)
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet