Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Red Rump Parakeet- little advice

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Red Rump Parakeet- little advice

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 am

Hi guys,

So Percy (the red rump) seems to be settling in ok. He's still quite nervous although we can get him in and out of the cage on a wooden dowel for exercise which is good progress so far. (He is not hand raised)

We are just wondering what the best way forward is to get him eating a bit more. We understand he going to be really nervous for a few days/weeks but should we leave him alone in the room (he seems to eat when we aren't there) or should we sit within the vicinity of the cage (he has eaten tentatively when I was sitting on the chair in that room. What should we do for the best to make him more comfortable?

When we are in the room, we try to speak softly and not make sudden movements. He seems to like watching the world go by out the window. He has no problems with us sitting near the cage as long as we don't put our hands near him.

Also, I know red rumps like to bath. What would be the best postion for his bath? Should we hang it from the cage wall, place it on the floor or just leave it outside the cage? He has had a spritz and he was emotionally ambivalent to that, I didn't soak him (just a couple of sprays on the mist setting) and I used warm water. He hasn't preened yet but I assume that will come in later on when he feels a bit more comfortable. He has fluffed and rearranged himself but hasn't gone on a preening mission yet!

His poops are fine, a little small but good colour and shape and he generally seems healthy so no worries there yet.

Any tips anyone?
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet