Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wooden dowel perches

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Wooden dowel perches

Postby c marvel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 am

Where can I find slotted wooden dowel perches? Does anyone know? When outside of his cage Vest's favorite chew thing is now a portion of the slooted wooden dowel that is outside of the cage. I have a comfy perch inside and can easily find another. My question is where can I find slotted wooden dowel perches? I measured and it looks like I need ones 20" in length.

Cap
Books are weapons in the war of ideas
c marvel
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot.
Flight: No

Re: Wooden dowel perches

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:01 am

I haven't got even the remotest idea of where you could find them as 1) I don't use them and 2) I cut my own slots in tree branches for my birds. Maybe your pet store can order them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby TooLove » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:57 am

If you're getting them just so your bird can chew the 1/2 inch on the outside, why not find or make something with more 'slots' in it? Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys has big blocks with lots of slots cut into them. That way you get more chewing out of it and you can use better perches instead of dowels.
:cockatoo:

Follow us on instagram: http://www.instagram.com/danellejc
TooLove
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: U2

Postby liz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:45 am

I use branches half an inch longer than the distance needed for a perch. Then I notch it to fit. You can use a saw or even a kitchen knife.
To make short perches that don't go clear across, I get a metal jar lid and put a hole in it to make a big washer. Sometimes you need a washer for both sides if it is heavy. Drill a hole in the branch and screw it all together on the side of the cage.
I save all my little metal jar lids for this. I save plastic lids, like from a peanut butter jar, to use as a feeding cup (if I want to try something new on them because I don't let their foods touch)even though I have plastic dishes that I can fit 3 with a chick waterer on the platform.
I bought perch platforms from a catalog and put them on both sides of the cage. The burner covers for a gas stove fit perfectly to make a hard surface to hold dishes. I can put 3 similar food per dish X 3 dishes and the chick waterer in just one section allowing more room for flight.
That is not what you asked but I got carried away.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Try tree branches with the bark and all on them (little branches coming off, etc). There is nothing my birds like better than real branches, they start by chewing off all the little ones that come off the main one, then peeling the bark off and finally, chewing on the branch itself starting at the end - but, usually, I change them for new ones when they start on that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby c marvel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:41 pm

I'll try the tree branches Pajarita. Thanks for all of the info Liz. TooLove-I found the site you mentioned, not the product. It looks like a do-it or assemble-it yourself website and you just buy what you need. :senegal:

Cap
c marvel
Parrotlet

Postby TooLove » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:10 pm

c marvel wrote:I'll try the tree branches Pajarita. Thanks for all of the info Liz. TooLove-I found the site you mentioned, not the product. It looks like a do-it or assemble-it yourself website and you just buy what you need. :senegal:

Cap

Yes, sorry I should have specified since it's such a large website. Here's the links to some that might be useful or provide some inspiration.

http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/to ... uncher.htm
http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/toys/mazecraze.htm
http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/to ... ecraze.htm
:cockatoo:

Follow us on instagram: http://www.instagram.com/danellejc
TooLove
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: U2

Postby liz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:14 pm

I used to buy all my supplies from http://www.DrsFostersSmith.com .
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby c marvel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:04 pm

liz wrote:I used to buy all my supplies from http://www.DrsFostersSmith.com .

Used to? I was looking at their website recently. I think a claw trimming is due for Vest and I saw a couple other affordable things I might buy.
Claw trimming-That will be entertaining.

Cap
c marvel
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:01 am

I make almost everything now.
I buy seed from Walmart. The kind in the plastic jars is safer I believe. I buy human quality peanuts and almonds for the Amazons all other foods come from the grocery store or farm store.
The cages there are good quality at reasonable prices. I rarely go to petco and never bring my pets. The last thing I bought from FosterSmith was flight harnesses but have not tried them yet.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Next

Return to Housing