Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Cage and Tree for Cape Parrot

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: New Cage and Tree for Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Definitely checkout my cage review again because I still stand by everything I had said there:
http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... ape+Parrot

I have had some problems with the cage. Some are due to the way the cage is, some due to the fact that the bird himself is such a klutz. Basically its so big and the dometop so round that it has been causing Truman trouble for climbing around. I'm sure in the long run it will be fine (like Kili would have no problem in there) but Truman used to fall down a lot. An older bird might not have this problem.

As I said in my original review, I think the cage is priced like a premium quality cage but the quality is like a cheap economy cage. You're merely paying for the aluminum. I don't know how much better aluminum holds up in long run than powder coat. But to be quite honest I've had more hassle than benefit thus far. The aluminum scratches very easily (oh well) but it seems much harder to clean. Now the variable I'm uncertain of is if it's that the Cape Parrot poop is harder to clean regardless of cage material or if it's harder to clean any parrot poop off the aluminum. However, I know for certain that I can clean Kili's grate very easily but it requires a lot of soaking and scrubbing to get it off of Truman's.

Size-wise I do think I went a little over board. Which is ok. But a slightly smaller cage would still be acceptable for a Cape. However, the same model cage without the dome top would have been too confined. So the non-dome cage is 33"x25"x32" (I'm only going to talk inside dimensions cause hey for the bird, how big it is on the outside doesn't matter). My dome-topped cage is 33x25x49. Based on this, I think a reasonable sized cage for a cape should be around 30x20x36 and absolute minimum is 28x20x32. I'm sure the extra space is appreciated by the bird in my case but he really has a LOT of room in there. Don't forget I'd never seen a Cape before in my life until I got him so I had no way of knowing what sized cage was needed. When I look at my cage without the dome top, I do feel it would have been too confined for him though. The dome top really makes some breathing room at the same price.

I still find that Kili's cheap powder coated cage has better workmanship. On Truman's cage, this isn't so much of a problem (as it was on the aviary!!!!) but it's just disappointing for such a high price tag. As for food bowls. Truman's cage has 4 doors but I only use 2. In fact I took the rings out for the bowls on the other side. I simply don't need them and those doors simply pose a higher escape risk in case one fails. I rarely use more than one bowl at a time and two max. Since I use a water bottle, that just means one bowl for pellets and possible one more for fresh food. For Kili I just throw everything in one bowl and let her deal with it but with Truman I still keep it separate so he can learn to eat each food.

Something I don't like about Truman's cage is that the poop pan slides into a very specific rail. It's really hard to find it so it keeps falling out until you get it in the right groove. Kili's goes right in and you can't miss. On the other hand, Truman's poop pan is SOO big that I rarely take it out in full. I slide it out leaving 1/4 still in the cage, pull off the top paper, and then close it. I put like 4 sheets of the precut wax paper in there so I only need to pull the top sheet off every few days. Only about once a week do I need to take it out and clean it out in full. Also on Kili's cage there is more distance between the grate and pan but on Truman's cage they are pretty close together. I think it's more sanitary to have the greater separation.

So what's my conclusion? The cage suits its purpose and gets the job done but it's not a dream cage. It's over priced and not the greatest thing but it's pretty good for the bird. I would have gladly paid a few hundred more and had it be superbly designed instead. In your case, this might be the best cage to get:

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... D=ELP_3426

That's $400 including shipping, so make sure the store you're at doesn't charge you any more than that or you can just order from kings directly online! I think that is a very good size for a Cape, 3 stainless steel food cups. I had to rebuy stainless food cups for mine. In some ways this economy cage comes with better features than my expensive one did. Going for it again, I might have bought this one instead.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks! That one certainly looks tall enough! Does Truman use vertical space or horizontal space more? How does he prefer to sleep?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:26 am

He kind of moves around in accordance with where the fund stuff is. So since the feeders are on the bottom, some toys in the middle, and some on top, he is kind of all over the cage. I haven't yet changed the layout since getting him so not sure how much configuration plays a role. But he's like any typical parrot. Likes to explore and be all over, sleep on top.
Michael
Macaw

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:24 am

if we had the option to buy aluminium cages in new zealand i would buy one. i cant stand rust
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby bohnnco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:50 am

I have the red aluminum dome top for a moustache parakeet. I keep it on a shaded porch area in Houston, Tx, lots of plants, ferns, parlor palms, screened in safe, etc. He gets a few hours of nice sun and loves being out and away from everything. I work from home so I can keep a close eye. I also have a Kings powder coated dome top as his primary/sleep cage. I actually like it better and paid half the price. The aluminum comes together perfectly in sections and not so in others. I am sure I can get everything perfectly aligned but it felt somehow cheaper having it not snap together cleanly without a fight. The plastic bowels are not only lame, they are difficult to get out and in. I will buy another King’s to replace my powder coat but probably go stainless steel for indoors. The outdoor change is hopefully built to survive humid, hot summers here in Texas and I will have it awhile. Harvey will pretty much destroy those plastic cups within a month. Oh, yeah, Bird Butler watering system. Very nice alternative for an outdoor cage.

If the cage is staying inside, go with their higher end powder coat. It is nuts/bots but it feels like a more finished product and you pay less.
bohnnco
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Just my young male moustache parakeet

Postby ginger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Michael, Now that you have had this cage for so long are you happy with it? I am considering purchasing an aluminum cage or a stainless steel cage for one of my Senegals, that is a real chewer. He has chewed through a couple powder coated cages down to the bare wire. Of course price is an issue, but I'd love to know what you think of Truman's cage.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I could come up with lots of little things that could make for a better cage but I haven't seen one. The good news about the aluminum cage is that it doesn't rust and the bird probably can't damage the thicker bars. The bad news is that aluminum is more bendable so heavy perches and things you may bolt on could end up bending things.
Michael
Macaw

Postby ginger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:29 pm

That is good to know. I didn't think about the weaker metal being able to bend. Thanks for the tip.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Previous

Return to Housing