Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 am

332 parrots and, of course, not anywhere near enough steady humans they can bond to (they mention that, as soon as visitors came in, the birds moved closer to them as if asking for attention, the poor things!). They obviously try very hard but they are feeding them chicken - and don't the flight cages look too naked? I mean, aside from branches that appear to be mostly parallel to the floor and devoid of bark, I did not see anything else... And they 'weather' storms in the outdoor aviaries?! Oh, no, no, no! To make matters worse, they do not adopt out the birds! Not a good place, people!

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/202 ... ed-friends
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Did they seriously try to make an aviary for macaws out of wood and chicken wire? :roll:

How long till someone chews a hole and lets everybody out? Not to mention the risk from predators.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 am

:lol: Yes, I saw that, too! And it doesn't even look as if the wire is made out of stainless steel, either. And the aviary is not even high enough for the birds to have any real vertical flight (I doubt it's more than 6 or 7 ft tall) - they don't mention the dimensions but they might not even be long enough for them to have any real flight (they need 30 ft, at the very least). There were lots of things wrong with the whole thing... they say they spend $2,000 a month in food but that is actually very low for over 300 birds with lots of them being large species (a single macaw would eat an entire apple on its own). I only have 13 right now and I spend only in produce (meaning no gloop, seeds, nuts or supplements) about $300 a month so how do they manage to feed 330 birds with only $2,000 a month? Because even if they do get donations, I doubt they get THAT much.

And let's not even go into the fact that all these large sanctuaries end up all ran down once the original founders step down (and I am not trying to be the voice of doom here but a realist - I know of 5 of them that went South real fast and the birds ended up suffering for months before they went to another rescue). Sanctuaries do NOT work for parrots UNLESS they were parent raised and there is a HUGE machine behind them with steady corporate sponsors, grants, etc (like Foster Parrots, for example, or The Oasis - but even those might not end up well, too).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing