Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage alternatives?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Cage alternatives?

Postby banuvatt » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Look for bird feeders like the "Tidy Seed" bird feeder. This may help with the mess since where the bird is eating out of is enclosed.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: Cage alternatives?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:06 am

Well, in all honesty, if the issue is the mess he makes, I am afraid that ALL parrots are messy. It's the way nature made them and part of their ecological niche (by throwing food around, they disperse seed and feed ground species). But what you can do is train him to eat only inside his cage and then let him out for the day until the evening when he would go back into it for his dinner and then go to sleep after - and, if you put a plastic tablecloth or something kind of big under his cage, you can leave some produce for him to pick at during the day. My 'cage' birds all eat in their cages... I do allow them to eat their produce outside the cages and a couple of them do - like Epuish Caique, for example, who, if he doesn't get a piece of fruit or veggie as soon he gets out of his cage at dawn, he will steal it, and then there is Isis Redbelly who used to eat produce ONLY when she was out of her cage but she has done an almost 180 turn and now has gone from being VERY picky and only eating it outside her cage, when you stand in front of her, to eating pretty much everything inside her cage. So it's just a matter of figuring out what to put under the cage and training the bird to eat his staples inside of it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Housing