Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New cage or website recommendation for Amazon

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New cage or website recommendation for Amazon

Postby sb313 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:22 pm

I've had my Double Yellow Headed Amazon now for 23 years. The first cage I bought for her when I first got her was a Prevue Hendryx and it was powder coated, but lasted 18 years and was very sturdy and well built. I decided to upgrade and get a larger cage about 4 years ago, and went with one I found on the Hayneedle website, which is an Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cage. Unfortunately, it has already begun to get chipped in the areas where she likes to rub her beak when she eats, or higher traffic areas that she uses on her way out to the playtop, which she uses every day.

I've wrapped the chipped areas with vet medical tape in the meantime, but I need to get a new cage to get her and I'm not seeing too many promising options that look like they're good quality.

After the experience with the Avian Adventures one I have, I'm not sure that I would get another cage of the same brand. I have already looked up and went onto the King's Cages website, and unfortunately, the only powder coated playtop cage that is the size I want and is in my budget is a coppertone color, which I don't want. I am having a hard time finding the other brand we had for 18 years, Prevue Hendryx, online that looks like it is a good quality. It seems quality has gone down hill with mostly all of the cages, so I wanted to see if anyone has some personal experience on the brands I'm seeing on Bird Cages for Less website or Wayfair.

The one that looks best to me is on Bird Cages for less and is a Koloa Kavern brand. It's the right dimensions, but the bar spacing is 5/8" for some reason. I know 3/4" - 1" bar spacing is ideal, but I'm not seeing that for this cage size. I suppose that bat spacing should work for an Amazon?

There's another on Wayfair that is make by Tucker Murphy Pet and is a Cineas model.

Any experiences with brands or models, or if there are other websites you've shopped on that are reputable (for cages or toys) would be greatly appreciated!
sb313
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: amazon
Flight: No

Re: New cage or website recommendation for Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:34 am

Hi, SB and DYH, welcome to the forum. I HEAR you on the cages! I had a HUGE cage that I had bought for only $80 in CL, it had been a cockatoo's outdoor cage for years and, even after years and years of use, it did not have a single chip! The new ones I bought (I wanted them all to match) had the same problem yours has: the coating is striped very easily. Unfortunately, I can't help you because I personally think that all new cages nowadays are not powder-coated properly. There is always the stainless steel ones... which I would buy in a NY minute if I had the money!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing