Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage size for Sun Conure. Plz Help!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cage size for Sun Conure. Plz Help!

Postby yummycookie19 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 pm

A friend of mine just got me a gorgeous Sun Consure a few days ago. She's quite a screamer but guess I can handle it.... :lol:

HERE IS THE PROBLEM! She came in a tiny carrying cage and there's not much room for her to move around, so I wanna get her a right size cage ASAP. Luckily, a local cage store here is offering a moving sale this week and I find three cages I really like but dunno which one is the best for her.

They all come with playpens at the top and bar spacings are 5/8". One is 18"x18", one is 24"x22" and one is a corner cage with 27" radius. I wanted the corner one at first sight but too bad it doesnt come the skirt like the other two to catch the seeds......

Some pictures on their ad with those cages I want.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accesso ... Z219788322

Please give me some suggestions then my new friend can escape from her dungeon......THANK YOU!
yummycookie19
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Cage size for Sun Conure. Plz Help!

Postby pchela » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm

The 18 x 18 is definitely too small. Sun Conures are very active and need room to play. The 24' would be fine or the corner cage. Make sure the bar spacing is 3/4 inch or smaller as well.

And congrats on your new baby!

oops-- you already said the bar spacing. 5/8 will be fine.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby yummycookie19 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:41 pm

WOW! Thank you for the speedy reply! Is the 24" one still roomy enough if i hang some toys and stuff in it?
yummycookie19
Parrotlet

Lovebirds

Postby pchela » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:45 pm

As long as you don't overcrowd it with toys it should be fine. He'll definitely need a swing and a happy hut... conures love both of those things. Also, something to chew on that is wood and something to shred like a pinata toy or something. The best toy is a bucket or bowl that attaches to the cage in which you can put foot toys of various types. Also, several different types of perches that vary in wood type and diameter. And for sure a rope perch!

If you can afford to get bigger than 24 then go for it because bigger is always better, but 24 will be sufficient for a Sun Conure if he has plenty of out of cage time.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby yummycookie19 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 pm

I just called this store, they have a 32"x24" for only $245. I dun mind paying extra $60 for a larger cage at all cuz I'm not home during the day and the bird can have more room for herself, but the lady on the line told me that the bar spacing is 1" which she thinks it's too wide for the Sun Conure....... :?
yummycookie19
Parrotlet

Lovebirds

Postby lainmai » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:53 pm

If you looking for a cage call up Leonard at Birds R Us in Brampton - he sells Kings cages as well as A&E.
JAL as well as M&F carry knock off cages - I've seen several of the cages they offer and wasn't overly impressed with the build.

Another option is to check out Parrotdise Perch in Mississauga, they had a few cages on display that looked to be of very high quality when I was there last month.

http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/parrot/index.php
http://www.birdsrusbrampton.com/
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 pm

i have 18 by 10 now and im pretty sure i wish i had gotten a bigger cage. i feel so bad for skeeter itrs not like he;s cramped but with his happy hut which he loves so much and all his toys its just crowded and i really want to get him a swing so get im the bigger cage.
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby a.susz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 pm

get as big as you can afford.... if you cant afford a 32 in cage, then go for the next size down. dont forget you have to take into account all the toys, food, supplies, etc that you will need as well, and possibly a small tree for your baby to visit with you outside of the cage.

and congrats on your new addition!! :P
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby yummycookie19 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 am

lainmai wrote:If you looking for a cage call up Leonard at Birds R Us in Brampton - he sells Kings cages as well as A&E.
JAL as well as M&F carry knock off cages - I've seen several of the cages they offer and wasn't overly impressed with the build.

Another option is to check out Parrotdise Perch in Mississauga, they had a few cages on display that looked to be of very high quality when I was there last month.

http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/parrot/index.php
http://www.birdsrusbrampton.com/

Thanks for the contacts! I will drop by those two places and have a look too.
yummycookie19
Parrotlet

Lovebirds

Postby lainmai » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Leonard works out of his home, not sure what cages he has in stock at the moment.
If you do wind up buying one from him in the next week or two you might be lucky enough to see my little Tobi who is currently being weaned :thumbsup:
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Next

Return to Housing