Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Playgym stands

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Playgym stands

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I recently purchased a 30"x20" playgym on-line. It doesn't come w/a stand, but the gym manufacturer told me I should be able to find a stand easily. Maybe I'm not doing a search correctly, but I'm not having any luck finding a stand appropriate for the gym's dimensions. I called the local pet store I frequent & was told I'd either have to buy a table from a furniture-type store or make one (like from PVC) myself, as they didn't have anything that would work. I'm a single female w/o tools & pretty clueless as to how to go about making a stand from PVC. If anyone has some suggestions/ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them!
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Playgym stands

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Dunno if it's too much for you, but I make some pretty sweet parrot training stands for $150 a pair (includes shipping). They are not impossible to make on your own but do require some specialized tools and ingenuity. So a prebuilt pair might be just the thing for you?

http://TrainingPerch.com
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Michael wrote:I make some pretty sweet parrot training stands for $150 a pair (includes shipping). They are not impossible to make on your own but do require some specialized tools and ingenuity. So a prebuilt pair might be just the thing for you?

http://TrainingPerch.com

oh believe me, your training stands are on my wish list - have been for about a month now! :thumbsup: I'll hopefully be making that purchase in another 30-60 days.

The kind of stand I'm talking about for the playgym would be similar to one for a standing cage: flat top, 4 sides/legs. I'd like it to be 2-3' high & light enough that I could move it (w/the playgym) from room to room as needed.
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:19 pm

You mean more like a table? To put the playgym on top of?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 pm

exactly. Or even just a square frame to set the gym on top of.
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Look into IKEA. Get a cheap coffee or side table. Their stuff either comes with the tools or just twists right in. I have a table just like this (the famous green table in Kili's training videos):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40104270

I used to keep Duke's playgym on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkqDycs1sI

You can check out the other products they have if the size is inadequate. No need to spend a lot of money on something nice when it will just be covered by the playgym anyway.
Michael
Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Jenny wrote: I'm a single female w/o tools

Somebody needs a toolkit for her holiday gift!

This book has instructions on making play structures from PVC:http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Toys-Play-Areas-Some-Parrots/dp/0967882001

Making a simple table from plywoodor 2x4s and 2x2s might be even easier, just check that the wood is either not bird-accessible or is bird safe. Most hardware stores will cut lumber down for you if you aren't quite ready to tackle an electric saw!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby notscaredtodance » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:21 pm

PVC pipe fits right together.

Get 8 of the 3 way connectors: http://www.topmedicalsupply.com/images/ ... 671-01.jpg

and 12 pipes (that will fit into the correct connector size, obviously) all the same length. (you can make them different lengths, to make a rectangle table, but it will be slightly more complicated) Then make a square base for the bottom (4 pipes), a square base for the top (4 pipes), each one with the third opening pointing all the same way. The last 4 pipes will connect the top to the bottom.

It would look just like a bare cube. You can add super glue if you want to make it more sturdy, but make SURE you have everything put together the right way.

If you're gonna use super glue, do this project away from your birds.

We have 1/2" piping that we're going to make a playstand from, we just haven't gotten around to it yet.

edit: picture to show the final project. You can use more sturdy pipe to make the same thing. http://www.glassblower.info/images/ligh ... c-cube.jpg
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Jenny » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:

Somebody needs a toolkit for her holiday gift!!

If only I had the money for every time I've suggested this as a gift from my mother, who not only insists on giving me gifts, but also insists on giving me the most impractical ones - like framed, cross-stich homilies. sheesh....

notscaredtodance wrote:PVC pipe fits right together.

Get 8 of the 3 way connectors: http://www.topmedicalsupply.com/images/ ... 671-01.jpg

and 12 pipes (that will fit into the correct connector size, obviously) all the same length. (you can make them different lengths, to make a rectangle table, but it will be slightly more complicated) Then make a square base for the bottom (4 pipes), a square base for the top (4 pipes), each one with the third opening pointing all the same way. The last 4 pipes will connect the top to the bottom.

It would look just like a bare cube. You can add super glue if you want to make it more sturdy, but make SURE you have everything put together the right way.

yeah, a cube is what I had in mind. So I don't have to use some sort of glue, the separate PVC tubes will remain connected w/o adhesive, is that right?

BTW, these suggestions are exactly what I was looking for. Another example of how great you guys/this forum is!! Thank you :D
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Jenny wrote:
entrancedbymyGCC wrote:

Somebody needs a toolkit for her holiday gift!!

If only I had the money for every time I've suggested this as a gift from my mother, who not only insists on giving me gifts, but also insists on giving me the most impractical ones - like framed, cross-stich homilies. sheesh....

<shaking head sadly> Can you get her to stitch up, "My friend the rocket scientist says I need some tools!" ?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Next

Return to Housing