Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

is this safe? (aviary)

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

is this safe? (aviary)

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:01 pm

http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/build_your_own.php this is a design for a build it yourself aviary. My dad was thinking about building. any feedback would be really helpful! Thanks! :sun:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: is this safe? (aviary)

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:02 pm

I wouldn't build one from scratch and didn't. And I'm handy with tools and essentially rebuilt the one I bought. There are SOOO many considerations and problems with building or even buying one. I don't have time to discuss all the issues but definitely read the article about the aviary I set up because I wrote about many problems/security concerns to look out for. I'm sure there are many that I haven't mentioned but here are at least some to consider:

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... My+Parrots
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: is this safe? (aviary)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:34 pm

For finches, I think you can do it yourself without too much trouble. I have a book on buidling aviaries for finches. For a bigger bird, you need materials that are harder to work with.

It IS possible to build a cage for a medium bird yourself and have it be safe and serviceable. My husband built one for his Amazon, and his mother kept that bird in that cage for the rest of his life. We still have it. Finches are MUCH easier to deal with that that.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Housing