Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seed Catcher???

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Seed Catcher???

Postby Kimber » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 am

I have a large cage that my Amazon is in. Not sure what kind it is but I am wondering about removable seed catchers? It has a couple of notches at all four corners of the floor on the outside of the cage.... not sure if that makes any sense to anyone! I got the cage second hand so I have no clue where the cage originally came from. Does anyone know where I can get one? I think it would save my tile floor as Cheeko like to sit on the edge of the play top and poop! :amazon:
Kimber
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Seed Catcher???

Postby captwest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 am

Hey Kimber, I've always had the same problem with amazons on top pooping off the side, i found a cage with real wide seed catcher that works great and also keeps her from climbing off. Because you don't know your brand or model maybe go to some of those bird fairs/expos and look at the cages for sale and see if any might fit yours ,those people would know if you can order them for your cage.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Kimber » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey thats a great idea... although I live in a remote area so no bird s fairs for me. I guess i could call a pet store close by and ask...... Thanks so much for the idea!!!!!! :amazon:
Kimber
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Headed Amazon

Postby Marnie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 am

i found a nice one for my cage for about $15 i think. its made from plastic and you can cut it to fit your cage. it works great and was very reasonable. i got it from ebay.
here's a pic of how it looks.
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 pm

I wonder if the plastic would hold up for birds like mine.... both with climb down their playtops and investigate and one of the things the catcher does is keep them from easily shimmying all the way down to the floor! Scotty chews on the corner connectors when he can get away with it, and I suspect he'd destroy an all-plastic one in no time.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby sidech » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:54 pm

I just put one of those transparent plastic things we put on top of carpets to protect them from water under the cage, making sure it is about 6 inches wider than the cage. Jazz's poop falls right on it, and I just wipe it off at the end of the day with water and vinegar if sticky, if not , just wipe.

Although most of the time my dogs just get to it before I do (I know, it's disgusting, but I can't stop them because they don't do it in front of me...)

So maybe get yourself a dog ? (just kidding :D )
sidech
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:30 pm

sidech wrote:I just put one of those transparent plastic things we put on top of carpets to protect them from water under the cage, making sure it is about 6 inches wider than the cage. Jazz's poop falls right on it, and I just wipe it off at the end of the day with water and vinegar if sticky, if not , just wipe.

Although most of the time my dogs just get to it before I do (I know, it's disgusting, but I can't stop them because they don't do it in front of me...)

So maybe get yourself a dog ? (just kidding :D )

My dog does the same thing! He is insanely jealous of their food, so whenever he sees seed husks, or poop, he goes right to it! Saves me some cleaning time :P
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby ldallas04 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:03 pm

zazanomore wrote:My dog does the same thing! He is insanely jealous of their food, so whenever he sees seed husks, or poop, he goes right to it! Saves me some cleaning time :P

That's hilarious!! I'm glad my dogs are not the only ones interested in bird poop... :roll:
Lindsay, :gcc: (Max) & :sun: (Apollo)
ldallas04
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure, Sun Conure

Postby Chris&Akilah » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Yup, my dog is a great bird-mess-cleaner-upper too, I just wish he'd eat the half-eaten veggies as well!
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Return to Housing