Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Charles's Cage Setup and a Special Swing

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Charles's Cage Setup and a Special Swing

Postby lotus15 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Today Charles (my budgie) and I redecorated his cage in honor of his brand new, custom made swing from Grey Feather Toys! This may sound weird, but he loves this swing so much that it nearly brought tears to my eyes. He used to have one similar to it a long time ago but when he and Theodore (my other budgie and Charles's best friend/cage mate who sadly passed away in May) chewed it down to reveal galvanized wire inside, I knew it had to go. I have never since been able to find one that was stainless, until I thought about contacting GFT for a custom one. The new one is now 100% stainless steel. And boy has he missed this style swing!! I've tried every other kind-- ring swings, natural branch swing, tons of perches, even other tire-style swings (that he opted not to roost on because they hung too low)-- but he never, ever chose consistently to sleep on any one type nor show much interest. He prefers the tire-style, but it must be high up near the ceiling so that he can roost as king of the cage. smile

As soon as I put this swing in his cage, he immediately hopped on-- which is a pretty remarkable feat for him, considering that he is usually very fearful of new things. But he happily preened away on it!! And when I went to cover his cage tonight, he immediately hopped back on and started grinding his beak. I haven't seen him so pleased with a sleepy swing since the old one that he shared with Theodore. I am sooo overjoyed that he is finally satisfied. I know this probably doesn't sound very "special" or tear-worthy to anybody else, but he hasn't seemed this happy since Theodore was around and I am soo relieved right now.

Onto the rest of the cage: here it is!

You might not be able to make out all of the toys, but if you can, you will see that Charles is a BIG fan of Grey Feather Toys. Currently his cage features a swing, boing, horse toy, stainless steel pail toy, stainless steel bell toy, bunny toy, shredding toy, and probably more, all from GFT. (And we have a ton more of their toys in storage and around the room!)

One inside view of the cage from the front door

Another inner view from the side door-- and Charles preening on his swing!

Charlie up high on his boing

I decided for the first time to put a boing inside his cage. I used to have it hanging outside and he adored it, but I took it down to make room for other things. I don't want him to miss out on it entirely, though, and since his cage is very roomy for one budgie, I decided to put it on the inside. He's enjoying it very much! It's also from GFT :)

Overall I am very pleased with the new setup, and Charles seems to agree. He has a variety of perching surfaces: a cotton rope swing and boing, a sandblasted manzanita corner perch and branched perch, a ribbonwood perch, a willow perch, a cholla perch, and a cajeput perch; three food bowls; one small water bowl and one large bath; and LOTS of toys for shredding, snuggling, chewing, beaking, and more. Woohoo!
lotus15
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot, English Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Charles's Cage Setup and a Special Swing

Postby Anneke » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

WOW! Good job on the cage! I really like that swing. Maybe I'll try to make one...someday. ;)
Anneke
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby lotus15 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Thank you :) It's a wonderful swing!!
lotus15
Conure

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Looks like a great swing for him! :mrgreen:

When I had a budgie, he was clipped and I think he had a fear of swings/losing his balance. I miss him a lot! :(
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm

n,aww charles remindes me of my lue budgie i had called pluto. it looks like he loves the swing!
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby zazanomore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Kathleen wrote:Looks like a great swing for him! :mrgreen:

When I had a budgie, he was clipped and I think he had a fear of swings/losing his balance. I miss him a lot! :(

Ever consider buying another budgie? Perhaps from a breeder rather than a pet store. My budgies bring a lot of joy into my life. They are so active and playful, they're always doing something wacky

As for your cage setup, I love it! He looks like a very spoiled birdie. :D
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:20 am

Gee I'd lose such a budgie in such a big cage!! Have you thought of getting him a new buddy??
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby lotus15 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 am

CheekyandMalolo wrote:Gee I'd lose such a budgie in such a big cage!! Have you thought of getting him a new buddy??

That's our next step!
lotus15
Conure

Postby coral » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:07 pm

I love your cage setup! You mentioned it took your budgie was normally afraid of new things. How do you get him used to the new things? My Blue headed pionus is afraid of all the toys i make him or buy him lol!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Postby lotus15 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 am

coral wrote:I love your cage setup! You mentioned it took your budgie was normally afraid of new things. How do you get him used to the new things? My Blue headed pionus is afraid of all the toys i make him or buy him lol!

Thanks :) I put things outside the cage near them and move them closer, eventually hang them on the cage, then finally put them inside, let them hang out there for a while, maybe tie some millet onto them... this whole process can take as little as a week or up to a month depending on him!!
lotus15
Conure

Next

Return to Housing