Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Letting parrot stay in cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Letting parrot stay in cage

Postby Kyle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 am

Hi.
Ive had my very first bird for a month now. He is almost 4 months old.
I leave the cage open since he hates being locked up and likes sitting on top.
If I pick him up or put him somewhere else he starts looking for his cage and will fly/climb to it.

Is it good for a parrot to be so attached to the cage?
Kyle
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon.
Flight: No

Re: Letting parrot stay in cage

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 am

im not as experienced as the other people on the forum but i would say let him take things at his own pace. but i guess its a good thing that you are trying different places by taking him over to new situations.

but his cage is his home so it makes sense he feels safer there... and ofcourse it has only been a month :D
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella
Flight: Yes

Re: Letting parrot stay in cage

Postby patdbunny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Are you taking the bird outside with you on outings and stuff? The more socialized you get the bird to new places, people and situations, the less cage bound the bird will be. Getting too attached to the cage is known as being cage bound.

Right now it's good that he likes being out and on top, but I still say get that bird more socialized. You can also put the bird on a play stand that's out of sight of the cage and have it hang out there instead of on top of the cage.

Generally, becoming cage bound is not a good thing.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Return to Housing