Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outside aviary?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Outside aviary?

Postby Tandi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:59 am

I am considering getting a little outside aviary for Jodi to go into during the day when we aren't home! It wouldn't be for long periods...probably only a couple of hours at a time! I would have lots of branches and ropes and goodies for her to climb and play with! What are your thoughts on this?
Tandi, Jodi :amazon: and Jet
Tandi
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Orange winged Amazon
Timneh African Grey
Congo African Grey's
Mealy Rosellas
Indian Ringnecks
Flight: No

Re: Outside aviary?

Postby captwest » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:43 am

Id vote against the "when we're not home" part. I've had coons and possums eat birds thru the wire,dogs and cats ,hawks and snakes, and even mosquitoes and fire ants, They don't have to get to your bird, but she might hurt herself trying to get away. Outside is great for your Jodi but it's not a real safe spot and needs human to be on watch. PS don't think someone won't steal her either.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby lotus15 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:17 am

I agree that outdoor aviaries are great, but only for supervised use, unless you really think about the safety-- there are so many predators out there, there is of course the variable weather, and then the fact that somebody might see/hear your parrot and decide to bring her home!!
lotus15
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot, English Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 am

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby sherillynn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I have an outside aviary that I use in the summer but only when I am right there to watch. We live in the country and I've got hawks really close to the house so there is NO WAY I'd leave the birds out to fend those big guys off.
Its a great addition but really for safety's sake, NEVER leave them out unattended!
I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
Henry David Thoreau

sherillynn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw, Eclectus, TAG

Postby Kyle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:58 am

Put another layer of steel mesh over the aviary and leave a gap between, then they cant reach the inner mesh.
Kyle
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon.

Return to Housing