Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

getting a bigger cage, help

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

getting a bigger cage, help

Postby hopestar » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:15 am

my budgie has lived the same cage for three years now, and it is a very small cage (13x13x12 in.) and she is VERY attached to it. when i take her out of it, she will run right back to it. I am getting a new big cage for her soon. how do you think she will adjust to it? will she be as attached to it?
hopestar
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: getting a bigger cage, help

Postby HungryBird » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 am

She will get used to it but may always have fond memories of the old one.

When I got Iggy she came with a cage that I no longer use. It is too small for any kind of long term living but is fine as a travel cage or a temporary cage if we go somewhere overnight. The cage she is in now is a large flight cage with more than enough room but when she sees her old cage she gets really excited and goes right over to it. It's been years. Whenever Squeaky gets a chance to go near his old cage he is more than happy to. He also tries to get inside it. It's been even longer for him. They always return to the big flight cage but it is obvious that they each recognize their previous cages.

I'm sure she will discover she is happy in a bigger cage. She may be a little afraid at first but just be patient. You could also try putting the small cage inside the big cage with the doors wide open and let her explore on her own.
HungryBird
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Parakeets, Meyer's
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing