Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

what do you guys think about montana bird carriers?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

what do you guys think about montana bird carriers?

Postby spiral » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi there
i am sorry to be annoying again but i wanted to ask if you think my INDIAN ringneced parAkeet would be ok in a colapable montana bird carrrier the of the large kind? I wanted to use it to take her to the vet in. It seems abit exposed though, but i like montana cages.

I am paraniod that it could colapse with her inside, but i maybe over reacting i would like to possiply coVer the gage in transit to minimise stress for her.

I KNOW THAT WITH COLAPSABLE CAGES WEIGHT SHOULD NOT BE PLACED ON THE TOP. according to chet wilmachs website unless i imagined this.? :? I am doing alot of reseach so confusing myself abit.

The good news is i have a new helper who loves parrots so thats great !:irn: :D
thanks very much for your thoughts.
spiral
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: what do you guys think about montana bird carriers?

Postby Natacha » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:29 am

Posting a link to the cage in question would help.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby spiral » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:55 pm

hELLO heres the link to this particular cage i am sorry it took so long! :thumbsup:

i think its suiuible for a :greycockatiel: so i thout it would be potentionally good for a ringneck as they both have long tails and are small.

also the cage is powder coated which is a plus, my irn has a montana cage as her main cage. so i thought it might work
http://www.justcages.co.uk/travel-cages ... cage#v_371
spiral
Conure

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I wouldn't chance a wire cage as transport outside. Doesn't seem sturdy enough to me. Chances of it being dropped, banged, touched, etc are much higher than at home. A sturdy plastic carrier or a built up travel cage is safer. I would suggest either the smallest aluminum kings travel cage (a size down from what I use for Truman) or a cat carrier. Here's how I modified one for parrot.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Michael wrote:I wouldn't chance a wire cage as transport outside. Doesn't seem sturdy enough to me. Chances of it being dropped, banged, touched, etc are much higher than at home. A sturdy plastic carrier or a built up travel cage is safer. I would suggest either the smallest aluminum kings travel cage (a size down from what I use for Truman) or a cat carrier. Here's how I modified one for parrot.

Agreed on not using a wire cage.

Taking a bird in a carrier outside exposes it to many dangers, such as being smashed, dogs, hawks, little children, and just bumping into things in general. A bird outside in a carrier may attract a hawk. If a bird of prey crashes into that carrier, I guarantee that it will not hold up to that impact. Same for dogs, and for the love of god, children, too.

I would want something that can hold up to some impact, and preferably withstand falling a short distance without opening/collapsing (and hence injuring the bird). Ideally it would be something that would serve as protection for a bird, not a liability.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby spiral » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:41 am

Hi thanks everyone,
i am just carefully reiviewing all the options, i agree with the points you have raised i like the aliminuim kings carrier best i think, at least so far.

I do put my parrots cage partially outside on sunny days on its stand and supervise her sunbathing time to watch how she reacts to other widlife.

shes eating brussel sprouts at the moment.
spiral
Conure

Postby liz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 am

I use a dog carrier to take my birds to the vet, but I do have to check it each time to make sure they have not made the holes bigger.

They love to be outside. In the summer I open the windows in the sunroom and that makes them very close to being outside. My :pied: Sweetie even had a cardinal friend one summer who would come to the rail of the deck to talk to her. She was my only tiel at the time. She leaned to speak cardinal. They actually bonded and communicated. She was so depressed when I closed the windows in the winter that I had to get her a friend.

I am considering building an enclosure with a wire top outside the chicken door on the deck so they can go outside and even get rained on if they want to. I think I will start working on it this winter when things slow down in my life.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby spiral » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 pm

:D that soumds like a good peice of d.i y Liz!

MY PARROT has a homemade stand made ouut of broom handels and the bottom of an old wardrobe which she likes its on wheels, my career made it for me which was a lovely gesure.

i was woundering why some galvanized wire even though it can contain zink is concidered safe for bids if you put cider viniger on it i mean rubb the wire with viniger would this also make brass cages safer as brass contains zink, so far as i a, aware.

excuse me if its a silly question? :thumbsup:
spiral
Conure

Return to Housing