Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Splitting a bonded pair?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Splitting a bonded pair?

Postby dohcsvt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:17 pm

I have a green cheek conure and a sun conre. The :gcc: is about 20 months old and the :sun: is about 1 year. They have been caged together since about 2 months after we got the sun (acclimation time). They sleep nuzzled together and are constantly preening each other, which is what I had hoped for when I got the sun was to be a friend to the green cheek. Well, over the last 6 months or so of them living together they get into thier occasional spat and either the sun ends up on the bottom of the cage and the spat is over (about 5 seconds in length) or I holler at the cage and get the "what, we weren't doing anything" look from both of them, just like kids.
Well, we went out of town this weekend for 4 days and my daughter fed them, but did not have them out of thier cages (she does not live with us) very much. Well, when we get back the sun has a bald spot on top of his head where some feathers were obviously ripped out. My wife and I became very concerned and decided it best to separate them into thier own cages to prevent either one from being injured.
We let them out for about 6 to 8 hours each day and plan on continuing to do this once we separate them. We also plan to allow them to interract with each other normal like, when they are out of thier cages. Basically they will only be separated when the cages are locked up (bed time, or while we are at work).
My question is, would these guys be considered a bonded pair. Also, does the separation plan sound like a good idea, or should we leave the situation alone. The birds interract with my wife and I pretty good. The :gcc: is way better than the :sun: and my wife and I think the :gcc: bonded with us since he was an only child for about a year, and then when we got the :sun: he bonded to the :gcc: and that is why the sun doesn't interract with us as much. We are also hoping that if we separate them that the :sun: my begine to interact with us more. any thoughts?
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.
Flight: No

Re: Splitting a bonded pair?

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:33 pm

I think it sounds like a very good idea. I pretty much did the same thing with my Budgie and Cockatiel. My Budgie terrorizes my tiel to no end so I divided my flight cage. They still hang out together, but do get some alone time.

I'd make sure to put the cages beside each other so they don't suffer separation anxiety. Screaming problems can start if they feel that they need to call to each other. I would work on one-one time with each bird as well as a group hangout time :)
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 pm

GlassOnion is right. If you must put them n seperate cages at least keep the cages together.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cage Cleaner » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Separate them for sure. Even though the GCC seems to be winning the fights for now, the Sun is a lot larger than it is, and also has a much larger beak. I'd be worried about the Sun finally getting fed up with him and clamping down on the GCC's beak.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby dohcsvt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:Separate them for sure. Even though the GCC seems to be winning the fights for now, the Sun is a lot larger than it is, and also has a much larger beak. I'd be worried about the Sun finally getting fed up with him and clamping down on the GCC's beak.

That is my wifes major concern, especially since the GCC is hers and the sun is mine. She said, "one day Stanley (the sun) is going to reallive, hay I'm bigger and now you are in trouble" LOL
dohcsvt
Conure

Postby liz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:24 am

How are Stanley and Ollie doing now?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby dohcsvt » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 am

Doing OK, They have been since we came back home, just thier normal every other day spat and Stans little bald spot. The new cage arrived last night and I assembled it after work. I am going to gradually acclimate Stanleyto it. I put him in/on it for about 5 minutes last night and then he flew back to the normal cage. I am going to put him in/on it this morning while I train Ollie (10 minuts). Thganks for asking.
dohcsvt
Conure

Return to Housing