Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What temperature do you keep your house?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

What temperature do you keep your house?

Postby ValleybNY » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 pm

OK so i have a new baby Cape Parrot named Nigel, and he is my first avian baby ever! so I'm REALLY new at this, so please bare with me.
The season is starting to change here in Northern Virginia and some days its chilly and others are not (thats an understatement!) So I have the thermostat set at 70 degrees Fahrenheit (which is about 21 degrees Celsius for those of you across the pond) Is that ok? can I drop it to 68 to save some energy or is that too cold?
Thanks!
ValleybNY
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: What temperature do you keep your house?

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:52 pm

It's not a problem whether the temperature is 90 or 50 for a Cape Parrot. The important thing is that the changes are gradual. I wouldn't put a house bird strictly used to 75 degrees straight outside on a 50 degree day. My Cape goes outside most days so I'll continue putting him outside down to the upper 40s. But he slowly acclimatizes from the 100 degree heat of the summer down to the 40 degree cold of autumn.

For a baby parrot of less than 1 year, I'd prefer to maintain a tighter tolerance of 65-85F. 68 vs 70 degrees is a meaningless difference. Now what you don't want to do is major sudden changes where one day it's roasting inside and freezing the next. Keep the parrot out of drafts. Cover the cage at night to keep some warmth in. Keep an eye for shivering or panting. In moderation they are normal methods of temperature control so don't let them cause alarm. However, if they are happening regularly then it's bad. A very hot parrot will have its beak open panting. A very cold parrot will have its feathers puffed, foot up, shivering, and maybe even tuck beak in feathers like sleeping. A good way of telling if the bird is hot or cold is by touching the feet. If the feet are really hot or really cold, that is an indicator of how it is feeling.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I like the temperature of 70 so that is where I keep it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Kirsten » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 am

You live in NOVA? I live in central VA! We should meet up sometime! My bird Skittles :sun: seems to shiver no matter WHAT the temperature is. I'm contemplating getting him a heated panel from avitech or buying a heated perch. I also have a little space heater that I put at the bottom of the cage so the metal conducts the warmth. Unfortunately, the house I live in is a little spastic when it comes to temperature control, so I just try my best to keep Skittles' area warm.

He used to be in my room where there was NO temp control at all. The whole family decided it would be better for him if we put him in my parent's room where we can actually make sure he isn't freezing or otherwise.

Also, in case you weren't aware, there's a wonderful bird store called DJ Feathers Aviary in Chantilly, VA. It's 2 hours from me, but it should be way closer for you! Congratulations on becoming a proud birdy parent!
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Return to Housing