Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Keeping birds in the same room, is it fair?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Keeping birds in the same room, is it fair?

Postby MandyG » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 am

I was toying with the idea of placing my Amazon's cage in the same room that my Gold Capped Conure is kept in. I was wondering if maybe they would enjoy eachother's company (from within their seperate cages) during the day when I'm away at work. The only thing that I'm worried about is that my Conure has this awfully loud shriek that I can barely stand and I'm worried that it would bother my Amazon if he had to live in the same room as her without being able to get away to some peace and quiet. Are birds as sensitive to other species calls as humans are? Does anyone keep different species of birds in the same room (or area)? Is one louder than the other? Do they seem to enjoy having another bird around or do they seem stressed?
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Keeping birds in the same room, is it fair?

Postby liz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am

Do they know each other?

Try it while you are home and see.

My household has inter species friendship. At night the cats and dogs sleep in one pile. During the day when the cats are in they play together.

Years ago when my tiels were still loose in the house, I got a chick (a real chicken). Because it was an only my tiel :pied: Lemone' befriended her. He stayed around her during the day and went backto his cage at night.

:amazon: DYH Rambo pretends he does not like :amazon2: BF Myrtle but calls to her if they are not within sight of each other. Most of the time when he is walking she flies after him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:07 am

Oh - and when my tiels and lovies are loose they flock together.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:08 pm

I think Kili has had it with Truman's talking and screeching cause she tries to attack him every chance she can get. j/k, I don't think it will be such a big deal. But keep in mind that it may encourage your Amazon to be a lot more noisy too. Just be careful that it doesn't encourage aggression between them as the result of impeding on territory.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:29 pm

The aggression thing is something I could watch out for. I was just worried that her shrieking would drive him mad. He has picked up a few wild bird calls that are annoying and that doesn't bother me, I was just worried about him being stuck in there with her noise. Or maybe she would be more quiet with him in there? Or I'd be ok with them being noisier together if they're happy and enjoy communicating. Maybe I'll just have to try it and see after I get them a little more used to eachother.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Naurthon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:30 pm

I keep all my boys in the same room and it seems actually to reduce the noise. Nikko is typically the biggest noise-maker (even though he's the smallest!) Since Dante was added to the flock, Nikko is much less likely to scream. In fact, Nikko and Dante vocalize to each other quite a bit, saying "I love you" and "give me a kiss" back and forth. Dante sings (he takes after his Daddy) quite a bit, a Nikko has begun joining him with a certain conurey tuneishness. It's rather sweet, actually.

I think the biggest influence on noise is going to be you. The owner of one of the local parrot stores told me once about two customers, a couple, who each had macaws. She was surprised at how quiet and calm the macaws were when they were brought in for clipping. As it turned out, the owners were both deaf. Since they couldn't hear when the birds made noise, they didn't respond to it, and the parrots, not getting a "drama reward" for being noisy, eventually became very quite birds.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey
Flight: No

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:53 pm

If you're worried about the Amazon being offended by noise, I wouldn't at all, heh. From what I've seen, birds are pretty into noise. In fact, I've noticed that the louder the more exciting it is for them. Birds in a flock are NOISY. If you ever are lucky enough to visit Singapore, make sure to visit the bird park they have there. It is amazing. They have flocks and flocks of parrots and just about every other type of bird. Or just visit any zoo with good-sized parrot flocks. You will see what I mean.

In fact, I think it's more humane to keep them in the same room. At least they aren't completely alone when you aren't there. They can also do some limited flock behavior, such as mirror each other when they eat, etc.

As for putting them together causing more noise, I can see this being possible. I thought it was inevitable myself and absolutely expected this to happen when I put the Sun and GCC together after quarantine. However, it hasn't actually happened yet. I may actually say that it does reduce noise, like the above poster. My GCC used to go non-stop chirping and sometimes screaming out the window at wild birds that he could see, or just whatever he could see. My Sun used to scream whenever she heard something outside (in quarantine room she couldn't see outside). Now it's almost silent most of the day.

The only tie when they scream together is when they see me coming home and the GCC tries to no avail to out-scream the Sun. Heh.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Asmonde » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I have my GCC :gcc: Yoda in the same room as my two Parakeets :budgie: Boba and Padame, allbeit not within sight of eachother and they often call out to each other. They seem to be rather interested by each other but my GCC like to nip at the parakeets toes when they are holding onto the cage bars, or so I was told by the pet store. I have never let him close enough to try that at my house. The GCC has learned to imatate the VERY BOSSY female Parakeet, Padame and this drives her crazy! But it is funny to watch. She will chirp madly at her bonded mate Boba who just sits there like any good husband and then the Conure will imate the chirping so effectivly that she will start flying around the cage chirping and whistling in a furious manner. :lol:

Hope that helps, this is my first post.
Asmonde
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets & a Conure

Postby liz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm

LOL
Your budgie is telling her mate off about something and a neighbor butts in.

I believe it will reduce the noise. They will be able to talk to each other not just call out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Return to Housing