Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

housing my cockatiels

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

housing my cockatiels

Postby m.k » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:28 am

Hello,
I just bought to cockatiels, lucy and titan, they are about 7-8 months old and i'm keeping them in the same cage, so should i separate them so each cockatiel live in his own cage or keeping them together is better.
M.K
m.k
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: housing my cockatiels

Postby liz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Cockatiels are flockers. I have 3 pair but did not think of it until I seperated their cages. They called to each other non stop until I put the cages back together. The first time I let them all out at the same time they went back and cramed into one cage.

I now have a flock of 6 in a big parrot cage.

If you seperate them they will do the same. Your bet bet is to let them stay together. If your cage isn't big enough it is time to upgrade.

Your other question. Let them eat the stems they will work their way to the leaves. The stems have more moisture. Are you using a bottle or bowl for water?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby m.k » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi again,
As for the water , i put it in a bowl, but my main concern in wanting to separate the birds isn't because of the cage, which is big i think. I read that for good taming, birds should be separate, maybe i didn't get it correctly, but since you have experience with cockatiels i would like to know the best way to tame the birds, one more thing my cockatiels are really quite, i don't know if that points to being scared or sick. So if you would give me some tips in taming the birds and the average taming period i would be thankful.
M.K
m.k
Parakeet

Postby liz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:58 pm

They are quiet because they are not yet settled in.

Voice and physical contact work best for me.

I rescued 2 wild tiels from an overcrouded breeder. He said I would never be able to touch them.
I let them ot to fly with the others. Because their flight muscles were not strong yet they tired easy. Once they were on the floor they would step up, not by command but because they wanted help. They are now the two tamest males.

I don't seem to do anything like the other members of the forum so I am sure you will get more input. I don't trick trane. All I ask of them is to let me love them.

My daughter has 2 love birds that she never handles because they bite her. I talk to them all the time (I am kind of housebound) and when I let them out with the tiels they let me pick them up. They also want to flock with the tiels and the tiels accept them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby m.k » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks again Liz, I really appreciate that, u were very helpful.
m.k
Parakeet

Postby clawnz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 pm

M.K.
I think what you are reading in regards to taming is!
Work with each one of them away from the others. not separate in to different cages.
There is lots of good advice on taming to be found online.
But quickly I will say being calm around your Fids and slow movements are a good start. Until you have a good bond going never stare at them. Sitting by the cage and talking softly is another good thing to do.
I am also not into trick training. My rehome's and rescue's come to me because they want to not because I have trained them to.
Working with free flighted birds can take a long time from them to trust you.
Caged birds are a different kettle of fish and it should not take you long to start to interact with them.
When you approach watch and see what reaction you are getting, as soon as you see them tense up move away. Keep doing this and you will notice you can slowly get closer. Next is to find what treats they like. And start to offer them.
clawnz
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels Eastern Rosella

Return to Housing