Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Cage for my baby IRN

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New Cage for my baby IRN

Postby Tikobird » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:03 am

HI, i got a 5 week old IRN last week and because he wasnt able to perch by himself properly at the time and always sat in his elbows/knees, dont know what to call them haha :lol: or he would do the splits and sit on his belly, i hav him in a cage that is probably a normal sized cage for a budgie and in this week he has grown quite quick and now is too big for it, he cant flap his wing and his tail is always in his water, i need to get him a new cage and have been looking on ebay and i was wondering if iether of these to cages are good or, if i need a larger or smaller cage, thank-you :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?Animal=Bird&LH_ItemCondition=11&LH_FS=1&LH_BIN=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&Product%2520Type=Cages&_nkw=large%20parrot%20cage&_dmpt=AU_Pet_Supplies&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
Tiko - :irn: except blue :) 7 weeks

Lucky - scaly breasted lorikeet :) bout 2 years ish
Tikobird
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Rinfneck
Scaly-breasted lorikeet
Flight: No

Re: New Cage for my baby IRN

Postby cml » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:33 am

I wouldnt go smaller. The bigger the cage the better!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby Munchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:01 pm

I don't know the metric system, but it looks like the bottom cage has bars that might be spaced to wide for an Irn. The spacing on it is 20 mm while the spacing on the top cage is 12 mm.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure

Postby cml » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Munchy wrote:I don't know the metric system, but it looks like the bottom cage has bars that might be spaced to wide for an Irn. The spacing on it is 20 mm while the spacing on the top cage is 12 mm.

That translates to roughly 0.8" and 0.5", I dont know what spacing is approriate for IRNs, but as long as the bar spacing is okay, the bigger the cage the better!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Munchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Yes the largest cage you can afford or have space for the better.
Munchy
Conure

Postby GlassOnion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:08 pm

GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Munchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 pm

That's very similar to what I bought for Disney. I bought the one with one large door instead of the two. Disney Loves it! He has lots of room to play, which he does. More than a few times while playing with his toys, as he climbs all over them, he has fallen and the cage is large enough that he can fly out of it and not get hurt. Then with a shocked look on his face, like how did that happen, he climbs the ladder back to the top. I don't crowd the lower half so when he falls he doesn't get hurt.
Munchy
Conure

Postby Tikobird » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 am

thank-you both for your input hopefully we will get one soon i just dont think my mum is seeing the importance of it ill give it a week and then ill need a larger cage :) i think that HQ cage might be great, it seem big enough to put plenty of toys and perches in :D
Tiko - :irn: except blue :) 7 weeks

Lucky - scaly breasted lorikeet :) bout 2 years ish
Tikobird
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Rinfneck
Scaly-breasted lorikeet
Flight: No

Postby Khaiqha » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:45 am

IRNs are really active and mine uses every inch of its cage. Also you can try explaining to your mom the bigger the cage the less cage aggression there is, and that a small cage will increase the likelyhood of them breaking their tail feathers.
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby Mum2rory » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:41 am

Please try and get the biggest cage you can afford, find and fit into the area it will be located. I dont know what are you are from (I am SE Melbourne) There are a few places out this way (Dandenong and Noble Park) and another in Thomastown that sell cages (I can give you the names if you want). They are importers, so while the cages are allright in quality, if you can afford the better ones, I would do so. Whichever cage you get, just keep an eye on the bar spacing - which is one thing I didnt think of and my gcc 'escaped' through his.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Next

Return to Housing