Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Natural perches?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Natural perches?

Postby cornettocockatiel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I recommend that you use a Java Perch. A Java Perch can actually be sold in good pet shops.
Or you can buy it from Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Java-Wood-Multi-Branch-Perch/dp/B0039ZMMOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326489306&sr=8-1
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby Shelby » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Zooey wrote:I also read that grooming perches covered in sand are dangerous, because constant contact with this rough surface can create wounds on the bottom of your bird’s feet and lead to a staph infection called “bumblefoot.” :shock: I better get rid of my grooming perch. :? Never knew.

Those grooming perches only cause bumblefoot if your bird uses them a LOT. Most people use the regular wood/plastic ones in high traffic areas of the cage and put the grooming perch next to a toy or near the food dishes. But there are alternatives. I've heard of wood perches with sand only on the bottom side where the bird's nails come in contact with the perch. The top, where their "palm" is (I guess you could call it that) is smooth and doesn't cause irritation. Also, they make perches out of cuttlebone! I guess they work to smooth nails on smaller birds like budgies, and the bird can also chew them to get calcium and prevent beak overgrowth. It seems a lot of birds like cuttlebone perches better than a cuttlebone clipped to the side of the cage.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Postby Zooey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Oh, I meant grooming perches completely covered in sand. I have seen those safer types, and I think that I want one of those.
And I used to only be able to clip the cuttlebone sideways so that they perched on it, but it is an absolute pain cleaning off the poop every day.
Last edited by Zooey on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
They're not your whole life, but they make your life whole.
Perapumpernickelle/Perry :budgie2:
Duke :budgie2:
Zooey
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

Postby aisell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 am

I use jawa wood perches and my birds are very happier :)
aisell
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby TerribleTim » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 pm

So this one has me a little perlexed. I have a couple of these - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147404 - in Iago's cage. I haven't noticed any issues with his feet, but should I not be using them? He hasn't shown any signs of not liking them. In fact, he sleeps perched on one of them. :swaying:

I'm confused. :(
TerribleTim
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure

Postby Zooey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

If they're on them all the time, the infection can start. If it's just occasional, I don't think you need to worry. I would limit to one of those perches in the cage.
Zooey
Conure

Postby allirho » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Zooey wrote:If they're on them all the time, the infection can start. If it's just occasional, I don't think you need to worry. I would limit to one of those perches in the cage.

Just to clarify, bumblefoot can be a result of those sand perches, right? But are the concrete perches safe? I'm asking because my budgie absolutely loves his concrete perch. He plays, sleeps, naps and relaxes on it over all the other natural wood perches available in his cage.
allirho
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Zooey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:28 pm

If it's smooth where the middle of the foot is then yeah, I think it's okay.
Zooey
Conure

Postby EleriDragonfly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:34 pm

I recently bought a Java Wood perch for my budgies, they are still getting used to it and preffer sleeping on the plastic perch that came with the cage.
I also bought some sand covers for the perches but don't use them that often, and bought a manicure perch but it's too small for the cage their in to fit comfortably.
I also got a rope perch which is 25cm long, but it's so hard to bend into shape D: The rod inside of it is very tough.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Postby Zooey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 pm

I got a Sweet Feet and Beak® Safety Pumice Perch™ so that Perry wouldn't hurt his feet. It's smooth on the top where the soft part of the foot is and is rough on the sides to trim the nails. I don't want to take him out to trim the nails because I have seen him held before- and it is not pretty.
Zooey
Conure

Previous

Return to Housing