Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Broken Acrylic Cage Repair?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Broken Acrylic Cage Repair?

Postby pfinarffle » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Hello all,

Happy holidays! Had a question to pose to the group. Our Sennie sleeps in a small and lightweight acrylic cage. Just yesterday morning, however, we noticed that the cage's locking mechanism totally broke off. It's very hard to describe, but it looks like the area that sticks out which latches onto the door just ripped a small chunk out of the acrylic material from the cage wall. The only way to fix it would be to glue the chunk with the latch mechanism back into the rest of the cage wall. My question is:

**Are there any parrot safe glues we could use strong enough to bond acrylic?**

I somehow doubt this and am wondering if the entire cage is now toast. Bummer. :cry:
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Broken Acrylic Cage Repair?

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Even if a strong/safe glue could be found, I wouldn't really trust the mechanism not to break again and the parrot get out. Is there any particular reason you keep your Senegal in an acrylic cage?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:09 am

I hate acrylic cages. Poor ventilation, no bars for the bird to climb around, and the surface gets scratched so easily.

I would use a barred cage. You can get something like this for under $200.
http://www.birdscomfort.com/small_flight_cage.html
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby pfinarffle » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:42 am

I guess the one great thing with acrylic is the visibility. We used this as a sleeper cage and the cage we'd take over to parties to help our parrot socialize. (We think he has separation anxiety from being rehomed on and off for his 18 years of existence). The acrylic allowed him to better see us and his surroundings and I guess, more than for him, gave us a sense of his being out and able to participate but still being safe in a cage. I was thinking of those nice aluminum cages as a replacement, but they're pricey! We also have one of those backpack cages that are no longer made. It's nice but kinda heavy and flimsy in construction. Then there's the pull apart powder coated cage. Very sturdy and a nice size, but amazingly heavy. I guess acrylic felt like the easiest option and this particular one had slits all along the acrylic walls to allow for good perch placement and ventilation. Eh. Will look into others' suggestions here. Agree that if acrylic breaks this easily it ain't worth another $100 investment!
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 am

If you are looking for a cage that is easily taken with you, this is what we got to use on vacations etc.

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/B ... ers/PA5676

(No I do not work for this site)

We went on vacation last year to a beautiful cottage in Quebec and needed cages for our senni and our cockatiel for the trip, and we didnt have alot to spend. We also had a bichon Frise, a budgie and two guinea pigs. So a cage that folded down for storage when not in use was important because we have lots of carriers and crates etc. and it had sort of started taking over our storage space in the house. Plus all we have is a little mazda hatchback for a car. So we had to get my husband, myself, the dog, two guineas, three birds, our clothing, food (ours and theirs) enough for a week and a bit stay at the cottage, along with life jackets, the canoe, the cages/crates for all the animals.....we managed it. Still not sure how!

I am happy with how the cages have held up, they are great because when not in use they fold up into nothing, but setting them up is a sinch, they are done in a few minutes. We couldnt find anything else that matched what we needed and didnt cost a small fortune.
Sarah
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Cockatiel
Budgie

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:42 am

I would contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. Maybe send in pictures as well. Sometimes they can be very helpful, or even automatically offer to send parts.

If not, does the broken acrylic part of the cage detach from the rest? It may be possible to order just that one side of the cage and reattach the latch to it once it arrives.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby pfinarffle » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately we bought the acrylic cage from someone on eBay who seems to no longer vend through eBay. Plus, there was just no way that repair could happen. The latch was attached to the body of the cage and took a chunk of the cage's body out with it when it got ripped off. The cage lasted a couple years, but it was a bummer.

Sarah, agreed that foldable is the way to go! Or Sennie has a buzz saw habit. He easily chews through wood, so while I had considered the cages you suggested, I was afraid he'd inflict major damage to the bars' finish somehow. I kinda bit the bullet and splurged on the smallest aluminum King's cage. Got a decent price through someone on eBay.

There are definitely pluses and minuses to each of these carriers. So we went through the acrylic cage. Never again. For one thing, while ours had plenty of breathing holes (actually breathing slits was more like it as they had cut the acrylic in an almost bar-like fashion), it's just not practical for the bird inside to try to walk around on solid acrylic "bars." On the other hand, the bird could see out the acrylic, which was great for socializing him, but also made for some anxiety at times (and could be scary where we live due to lots of birds of prey about). Also, the cage we had was definitely heavier than one would've imagined for something acrylic.

We have the Avian Adventures Poquito Avian Hotel. I think a few others here have it. It's heavy as heck since it's made of powder-coated iron. But it's definitely sturdy, folds down, is economical, and provides a nice amount of space for a smaller to medium bird who will be away from their home cage for days and days at a time. The locking mechanisms are kinda finicky. You've got to make sure you screw them down good. Other than that, this cage is our workhorse for weekends away from home.

The King's cage I was told is the Mercedes Benz of the cage world. It's very sturdy yet lightweight. But it comes at a cost premium. The other amazing thing about the small size cage (and perhaps others?) is that there is no bottom grate! The acrylic cage also didn't have a grate on the bottom. But for that price, you'd think they could've set it up with a bit of a grate so your bird doesn't walk in its own poo! So I was somewhat disappointed by that design aspect. The Avian Hotel has a bottom grate at least.

The major design flaw both the latter cages have are how low the food cups are. Then again, maybe our Sennie is just kinda dumb and poops where he eats. But the food cups are definitely set up to be lower than I'd like. So we usually get other cups and put his food in those instead. Definitely cuts down on him pooping in his water and food.

We also own an Adventure Pack backpack style cage. While it's stainless steel and very light weight (much more so than even the aluminum cage), the cage is very flimsy, and almost needs to be reinforced by the blue canvas backpack to prevent fly-aways. (Smarter birds would definitely have a ball figuring out the latch mechanism!) If you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's a vendor to show you the cage:
http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/adventure-pack-cage.html
We've used it to take our guy on hikes with us. It worked well for that. But I wouldn't trust it for longer periods of time, and certainly not without the canvas making sure no one escapes. The other major drawback is that, unlike the King's cage and the Avian Hotel, it doesn't fold down at all.

Anyway, those are my opinions as someone who's gone through almost all the carrier cages out there. Never owned those backpack style ones, though. Since PeeWee chews through canvas shoe toys, I doubt I'd ever go there with him.
pfinarffle
Conure

Return to Housing