Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

perches falling down

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

perches falling down

Postby Crimson_Shadows » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:50 am

hi i've been trying to decide how to place my perches for the budgie i will be getting soon. and I thought it would be nice to have some perches that don't go all the way to the other side of the cage. like they just stick out of the side. my question is, what can I use to stop these from falling down with the weight of my bird. is wire safe? i'm working with natural perches btw. :budgie2:
Crimson_Shadows
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: perches falling down

Postby Polarn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 am

I'd say try to find a branching peice so that the perch you want to use somewhat resem lea a Y. Then place it like a console using 2 prices of wood uoutside of the cage and then screw the top of the "Y" together with these two peices of wood that should give you a great deal of stability. I used this technique to get a bow-shaped branch to be stable at the middle as well having a branch at a downward angle out to the bars. I use all natural branches and I usually cut em about 2" too long at first then I cut off an inch on each side then put slices in that peice so that the bars gets "digged" into it. Then put a screw through them peices and inte to perch. This kind of looks decent I think rather than using a peice of plank. Kinda just looks as if the branch goes right through the bars.

But then again a budgi doesn't weight too much but this might be avoid IDE if your insecure your perches will hold.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: perches falling down

Postby Crimson_Shadows » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 am

thankyou i'll be sure to try that :)
RIP Bo. your epicness lives on in all budgies :D
Crimson_Shadows
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0