Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Full Spectrum Lighting

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:56 pm

I am getting closer to purchasing a lighting setup but had some additional questions. I would prefer a standing lamp type situation for a number of reasons and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for types of standing lights that accept avian lightbulbs, or setups that are standing lights?

These're the three brands of avian lighting I'm aware of from this forum and elsewhere.

FeatherBrite
Arcadia Aviary
Vital Lamp (which has a standing lamp)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also as to standing lights can I switch out the avian lightbulb for a regular light bulb for evening time?
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals
Flight: Yes

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 pm

I posted the above comment to the discussion for Mickaboo because they actually have a full class on avian lighting and it's importance. They have done a tremendous amount of research and try to stay up on all the latest. This is the response I got. This is a must read if you have avian lighting. Sounds like most of the brands are downright dangerous.

"BOTTOM LINE:

Buy the FeatherBrite if you don't want to use the fluorescent tubes.

Don't buy a bulb that has more than 0.1 percent UV-B. A bulb that emits no UV-B is fine. You don't need it, and it too much is dangerous.

The main thing you want is correct spectrum (CRI over 91 if possible) and correct temperature (5000 to 5500K).

CURRENT ARTICLE:

On this page:

http://confluence.mickaboo.org/display/ ... ading+Room

go to "Environment" then click the link for "Proper Avian Lighting" to read the current article.

Check out also the BLUE MAX bulb that we mention in the article. It's very similar to the FeatherBrite.

SUMMARY:

In a nutshell, you want a CRI of 91 or better. The bulbs we recommend are 98 CRI. All the other non-fluorescent tubes are only 93 to 91 CRI.

You want 5000 to 5500 K (or Kelvin).

You can use UV-A of 5% but NEVER EVER use a bulb that has more than .1%-that is, 1/10 of 1 percent-UV-B. More than that will hurt your bird!!!!!!

A summary of the bulbs you mentioned:

FEATHERBRITE:

Featherbrite is a safe bulb with a good temperature and an acceptable but not great CRI.

VITAL LAMP:

Which one in particular where you looking at? There are many sites that include both tube and spiral bulbs. This bulb:

http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/products/vital-lamp

Does not tell you if it has any UV-B output, so I would not buy it. You don't need UV-B and if you don't know if it has any, then it's NOT SAFE.

ARCADIA: DO NOT BUY AND USE THIS BULB!!!!!

Arcadia Bird Lamp 18" *Fits all regular 18" fluorescent fixtures*
Unlike normal fluorescent lamps, the Arcadia Bird Lamp uses special UV emitting phosphors to replicate the spectral pattern of sunlight with 12% of the total light output emitted as UV-A and 2.4% UV-B."
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby mayeendu2013 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 am

There are many several watt for spectrum light so it is energy saving lamp.
mayeendu2013
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: parrot

Postby Lady » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 am

Wow there is some great stuff here! If I could rate this thread it would get a top rate!
Lady
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:01 am

Some information is incorrect, though. Parrots need UVB.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I really hate any kind of CFL. They flicker, if not right away, then after a short period of time. I can see the flicker, and even if i can't the lamps give me migraines.

Are there any options for birds in incandescent or LED?
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Not that I am aware of. The full spectrum bulbs that are safe for your birds are also recommended to be changed out every 6 months, if that is done it may eliminate the flicker and a source of your migraines.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:22 pm

I forgot all about this thread but we need to go back to the Benefits of Full Spectrum Lighting. It is more up to date.
Where did Polarn and Glass Onion go?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:14 pm

I believe the reason why they need to be changed every 6 months is not so much the flicker (the newer electronic ballasts are actually pretty good at eliminating it) but because the light source itself degrades and 'loses' its full 'spectrumness'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing