Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Thoughts On New Cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Thoughts On New Cage

Postby purplepit » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Does any one own or have experience with the Marvelous Bungalow cage?

I want to purchase one for my Timneh :gray: but I want to make sure it's a cage that will last for a few years. I love the look and the size is perfect.

http://www.birdscomfort.com/bungalow_bird_cage.html
purplepit
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Timneh grey, Parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Thoughts On New Cage

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

I personally don't like it for a few reasons..

1. I think it's too small for a Timneh
2. The bars are so thin, made for tiny birds.
3. The open top concept can be very dangerous, I've heard of horror stories where the flaps just failed and shut down on the bird.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Polarn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:05 am

I have a cage with an open top solution, and their kind of made to fall down as soon as there isnt a perch holding them up, needless to say I dont trust it, if their sitting on the perch and it fails it would work like one of them beartraps... I do have it open sometimes but then i use SS clamp and crew them plied up before i put the perch there, but if your planning on open/closing it every day, I would consider it too much work securing the top each day so I would go for a cage without the opening in the roof and then pace a playstand ontop of it, if you want it to be above the cage when it is out of it.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby purplepit » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:39 pm

The play top would not ever be open. I don't allow Taco on top of his cage to play. As for the size realistically I can't go any bigger with the living space right now. He has plenty of out of cage time and plays in other areas.

The bars are a consideration. That's why I was hoping some one who owned one or had seen it in person.
purplepit
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Timneh grey, Parakeet

Postby Polarn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:23 pm

the barthickness is 4mm, slighty undersized, I use 6 for my amazon, notised all measurements are given in inches except the bars diameter, and 4mm is about 1/6th of an inch, just thought I'd add that incase your not familiar with the metric system. However I must say the bars are quite thick for such a small cage tho. I would consider the cage to be an acceptable cage for a grey that doesnt really spend more time in it than sleeping and eating, or atleast dont have to spend any more time than that in it. however the opentop is looking the exact same way as the opentop one I got, and nah you don't use it unless you got something really locking it down. Anyways not entirely sure about is the thickness of the bars are enough or not, I actually think it should be enough, try a googlesearch what is recomended as the minimumdiameter of bars for a grey.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Return to Housing