Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

macaw cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

macaw cage

Postby charkyry » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm

hi
i have a greenwing macaw that is now needing a new cage. id like to get a corner cage but not sure if this would be big enough for him.it is 6 foot tall but only just over 2 foot out to each side then arcing round to meet.i know that generally it would seem too small for him but charlie does not spend any time in his cage during the day and has free run of the house so he only goes in there to sleep so do any of you think it would be ok as it is just a bed for him
thanks for any help
charkyry
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: greenwing macaw
Flight: No

Re: macaw cage

Postby kittyhazelton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Chica has a cage that's rectangular at 40"X30" and 5' high, she is NEVER shut in it, at night she goes in/out as she pleases, that's where he "stuff" is. Even considering her cage serves more as a place to hold her toys and food bowls I still wouldn't consider anything smaller than this for her even as a sleeping cage. Even at night she still wants to move around and stretch her wings a bit.
Would you ever be shutting your bird in the cage, or will it have free-choice of going in/out? Personally I would never consider something that size for anything other than a hospital cage for a macaw. Consider the length of tail feathers when they turn around, there's just not that much space in corner cages for that because of the awkward dimensions.
if you are deadset on a corner cage for the bedtime cage, I would look for one that's at least 36" along the widest wall and give the bird the option to come/go in as he/she pleases during the day.
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:32 pm

I agree with Kitty, Macaws are really too big to be caged at all really. Either you turn a room into a bird room, or you let them roam free with a sleeping cage (but imo this isnt ideal as you dont have anywhere to put them when you have guests coming over, not everyone loves birds).

It might work as a sleeping cage, but Id say the bigger the better!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby charkyry » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:12 am

charlie only ever goes in for bed and he spends his days out with me or free roaming if we're at home and im afraid at my house if you dont like birds then dont come in as it is charlies home too.
he is shut in and covered at night but he does see it as a bedtime routine and will happily go in at a set time then gets up with us in the morning again at a set routine time other than that he spends no time in there at all.
charlie also is unable to fly due to bad previous owners so doesnt tend to flap his wings really he just walks/climbs
charkyry
Parakeet

Postby kittyhazelton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 pm

alysonshaw wrote:How did you train Chica to be like that? I'm afraid that I may not get Barney back if I open his cage so he is all trapped up always.

For the most part, I got lucky. Previous owners who had the bird rarely had her in the cage. Depends on the household if it's "bird safe", if you don't mind things getting destroyed occasionally, and if other members of your household don't mind having a bird loose all the time. A lot of it will definitely have to do with the individual birds personality and your situation. Chica may get free-range of the house, but my little Indian Ringneck does NOT because she is constantly causing trouble, is small enough to be considered a cat snack, and is a horrible chewer. I've had to make adjustments such as closing doors to rooms where we don't want her to go, all windows have screens & curtains to deter fly-ins (and those bird shadow stickers) no poisonous plants around, not worrying about poop stains on the carpet, etc.
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves

Postby charkyry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

decided to get corner cage and its huge plenty big enough for him and he seems to be enjoying it .
charlie isnt destructive to anything he isnt meant to be other than his cage really and he likes removing screws so free run is ok and i solved the pooping issue by having wooden floors,also like i said before flying risks arent an issue as charlie doesnt actually think he can fly so he is more of a risk of tripping us than flying
charkyry
Parakeet

Return to Housing