Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Could use some cage advice

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Could use some cage advice

Postby Crazypetlady » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:18 pm

My first CAG had an XL dome top cage. Very big and I loved it except I felt it was a bit boring.

For our new CAG, I want to get a play top cage. I have looked at 100 cages and I'd like to get this one.

Recommended for:

Caiques
Conures
Pionus
Amazons
Greys
Eclectus

Dimensions: 42 " x 26 " x 61 "
Inside Height: 38.5; 52.5 "
Bar Spacing: 5/8"

I ran it by one of the ladies at the store I'm getting my new CAG from and she said she didn't recommend any play top cage because the bird will get territorial as he gets older because he will be high up. Especially a problem, she says, when our young daughters try to get the bird to step up.

I had never heard of bird height causing aggression.

My first CAG would let me know she didnt want to go back in the cage, but that wasn't aggression.

What do you guys think of this cage? Any opinions?
Last edited by Crazypetlady on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kahlo, (female) Dusky Cheek Conure
Sunny, (female) Sun Conure
ZuZu, (male) Congo African Grey
Crazypetlady
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Dusky Conure
Sun Conure
Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Could use some cage advice

Postby Rokisha » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:41 pm

I think it's beautiful and if i could i would get it. As it is the cage joe has now is a playtop and she does just fine on it, she has never been aggressive in the least. Of course I can't really offer you good advice since i am new to owning a parrot but i haven't seen any bad behavioral display with joe and her playtop cage. http://www.petco.com/product/114176/Petco-Designer-Green-Dome-Playtop-Parrot-Cage.aspx this is the one joe has right now.
Rokisha
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot.
Flight: No

Postby cheebamaster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 am

Before you buy...look at the one I just bought on ebay...you'll save so much money

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-x31-x70-Larg ... 35b932049a

I also am getting a CAG in a few weeks and am so excited for playtop cage. I think you'll be fine as long as the bird is socialized
cheebamaster
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Crazypetlady » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:01 am

cheebamaster wrote:Before you buy...look at the one I just bought on ebay...you'll save so much money

Hi, thanks for the link!

That's a pretty nice cage. Do you know what the manufaturer is for this cage on eBay? I can't seem to find it. I'm already skeptical getting the A&E because of the fact that it's manufactured in China. I'm concerned for the lead paint. The other options are pretty expensive, tho...

I like the one I posted because it has a dome top side so the bird can choose if it wants to sit under something solid or not.
Crazypetlady
Cockatiel

Sun Conure
Congo African Grey

Postby cheebamaster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:41 am

I also tried looking for the manufacture but couldn't find. The cage was reccomended to me from a moderator of a n african grey forum. He knows quite a few people who use this cage and they say its great. If you check out the ebay seller profile he has a few cages that are dometop. The only diff btwn the cages is the company name. We pay2x as much for a name brand when we can get similar product at fraction of the price. From what I've researched iron wrought is often used and the cage should b great. I get it today and will put it together. Ill let you know the quality tonite
cheebamaster
Parrotlet

Postby Crazypetlady » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 pm

awesome, thanks!
Crazypetlady
Cockatiel

Sun Conure
Congo African Grey

Postby brfussne » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Crazypetlady wrote:
cheebamaster wrote:Before you buy...look at the one I just bought on ebay...you'll save so much money

Hi, thanks for the link!

That's a pretty nice cage. Do you know what the manufaturer is for this cage on eBay? I can't seem to find it. I'm already skeptical getting the A&E because of the fact that it's manufactured in China. I'm concerned for the lead paint. The other options are pretty expensive, tho...

I like the one I posted because it has a dome top side so the bird can choose if it wants to sit under something solid or not.

I purachased an A&E dometop cage for my Black Headed Caique. I love it! It was super easy to put together (aside from the cage being heavy). I put it together in a little over an hour. I'm an 110lb, 5'3" girl and the cage was pretty heavy for me, but it seems very durable. I'm pretty impressed with the quality. My Caique really seems to love it. She climbs all over it, inside & out. This is the cage I purchased: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... oduct=5548
Their website seems to be pretty well trusted and recommended. Although to be on the safe side, I may end up sending a paint chip from my cage in to be tested.
brfussne
Conure

Postby Crazypetlady » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:14 pm

So, I'm looking at this one and I notice it's footprint is just a little deeper than the first one I posted here. But it provides SOO much more interior room. I think it might be better to get this one because he will be stuck in this thing most of the day during the week. And it's actually cheaper than the first one I posted.

What do you all think?

Recommended for:

Amazons
Greys
Eclectus
Macaws
Cockatoos

Exterior Dimensions: 40"x30"x77"
Interior Height: 60"
Bar Spacing: 1"

Crazypetlady
Cockatiel

Sun Conure
Congo African Grey

Postby Crazypetlady » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm

hrm.... hanging play gyms are nice. Could get one of those and hang it over the cage in lew of a playtop.

Thanks for pasting that link, it's opened a whole new world of possibilities!
Crazypetlady
Cockatiel

Sun Conure
Congo African Grey

Postby brfussne » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:31 pm

On this thread, someone mentions a cage that possibly has a dometop that you can take off and put a playtop on. It's a 5 page thread, I think the person mentions it on page 3. May be worth looking into?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7524&hilit=christie
brfussne
Conure

Next

Return to Housing